DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 20th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

capturing and editing 24p

Hello all,
I own an XL2 and I edit with Final Cut Pro 5. My first question is...does it actually shoot in 24 fps or 23.98fps? When I set my sequence presets I'm selecting "DV NTSC 48 KHz Anamorphic" and I then select edit and change the frame rate to 23.98fps. Which is correct? Secondly, in my capture presets I using "Advanced(2:3:3:2) Pulldown" and I'm also selecting edit and changing the frame rate to 23.98fps. Before, I always kept it at 29.97fps without really knowing to change it. Which is correct? And lastly, in the Device Control Presets I'm using " Firewire NTSC Advanced" and I'm also changing the frame rate to 23.98fps. Is this correct or should it stay at 29.97fps, because what I'm noticing with these new settings is the motion isn't really as smooth.

Thanks for your help,
Reggie
Reggie Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:07 PM   #2
Major Player

There are a lot of posts here concerning this type of situation. The camera records 24p to 60i tape so everything but the sequence should be set to 60i. Chezch 2332 pulldown and your footage should drop nicely into a 23.98 timeline. Good Luck, Jason.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Jason, I'll definitely go with your advice which is what I was doing before. You've been a lot of help.
Reggie Moser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite