DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 8th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

External monitor for output

Please forgive this quiestion - which is clearly rooted in my ignorance - but as someone new to macs...

I have a new iMac. I want to run an external monitor to view video output from my NLE. How?

Will, for example, a 21" Apple Studio Display (CRT) work? I've got one offered to me 2nd hand for £25, and it would do for now.

Any advice much appreciated, and you are dealing with a mac virgin here...

Cheers
Marco van Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Major Player

Your external monitor should be connected to the A/V outputs from a VCR or a DV camera via the firewire from your computer. I don't believe that the Apple monitor has A/V inputs. The external monitor can be a dedicated video monitor or even a TV with the appropriate A/V inputs.
Old March 8th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks

Thanks for that....much appreciated
Marco van Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

In this case, the word "monitor" is referring to a video monitor for the FCP canvas. One way or the other, you have to have some video output hardware on your iMac to drive a second display that is not just a mirror of your computer display. The new iMac supports what is called "extended Desktop" with it's auxillary DVI output. You can hook the 20" Cinema up to it (as long as it is the DVI variety and not ADC) and end up with more desktop space. You can drag the canvas there but I'm not sure that's doing what you want in having an external monitor.

Your iMac may have come with an adapter that converts DVI to composite or S-Video. Apple makes one for $20USD. This gets you closer to what you want since now you can hook up a TV but the MacOS will still treat it as extended desktop.

However, the purpose of the external monitor is to view the video as it will appear on a video device. The quality of the hardware components in this chain will determine how close you come to that goal. Another alternative is to hook up a Firewire Media Converter to give you a video signal. I use this approach and am very pleased with it. Some of these units are better than others. Don't buy the cheapest ons. Think $300 or more. Canopus makes some good ones.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Ernest, which particular unit do you use? I'm looking for that option, because right now, I'm using my cheap Mini-DV "deck" hooked up to a Videotek 13-PRO composite monitor. I'm happy with the results, but I'd rather have a dedicated output device.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #6
Wrangler

This software claims to allow your iMac to support a second monitor that is not a mirror of the primary screen. Others around the forum report they have used this without problem, but be sure to read the disclaimers - it could void your warranty!

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

If you are able to connect the studio display by this method you can use FCP's "digital cinema desktop" to send the preview display to it. This should work fine, but the quality is not as good as an NTSC monitor via firewire. Also, I think the 21" studio display requires a VGA interface, so you may need an inexpensive DVI to VGA adaptor. These should be available at the Apple Store and other places.

The ADS Pyro is a relatively inexpensive way to connect an NTSC monitor to your Mac via firewire:

http://www.adstech.com/products/API-...sp?pid=API-555

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Boyd is correct. I missed the point that the display is the 21" Studio CRT. I was thinking 21" Cinema. The CRT is a big honkering display that weighs a ton. The CRT is a VGA which requires the DVI to VGA adapter to hook up to your iMac's second DVI port.

I have Sony DVMC-DA2 which is no longer made but is superb. If you get a production deck like the Sony DSR-11, it will work the same except you'll be burning power on hours of the deck to work as a converter. Research the Laird or Canopus models. Both are high quality companies with long standing in the industry. I have several Laird products and they are fantastic. The post sale support is incredible.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite