DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 11th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #1
New Boot

is QT 7 pro compatible with FCP 4.5?

I have an old 2002 iMac, 800 Mhz, panther OS, & use FCP 4.5 HD to edit video. It's not the ideal system but provides a good cheap platform for my learning to edit video.

I want to cut a bunch of my home movies to clips & render them into MP4 format to play on Ipod. I believe i have to upgrade my quicktime from 6 to 7 in order to use QT7 to render clips. However i read some posts in this forum that QT 7 is not compatible with FCP 4.5. I don't want to install QT 7 & start experiencing problems if i can avoid it.

To the greater minds on this site, what would be your best advise for me to get to rendering clips for Ipod, with an eye on my budget? Can i just upgrade software? or do i need to move to a new machine? The changeover to intel is making a decision on this more difficult. I don't want to have to buy a new $2000 mac & $1200 on a new FCP. I would prefer to keep my current imac 800/FCP 4.5/panther platform.

Thanks in advance for your comments. -JW
Joshua White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua White
I don't want to install QT 7 & start experiencing problems if i can avoid it.
You know, this was discussed a lot when QT7 and Tiger were released, but I'm getting a little hazy on the details now. I *think* Apple issued a couple "propps" patches for FCP4.5. Use software update to install them, or just find them on Apple's download site and make sure you're updated to the final version.

But I know there were a variety of issues with QT7 vs FCP4.5 initially. You might search Apple's support forums for discussions from last year:

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=939
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua White
I don't want to have to buy a new $2000 mac & $1200 on a new FCP.
I can't help you with the hardware price, but you can upgrade your copy of FCP 4.5 to the full Final Cut Studio (FCP, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro) for $200. This will be the universal version which runs on both Intel and PPC:

http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/

Now, does that $1,000 savings affect your hardware decision?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Joshua, the best option for the best price would be for you to download iSquint, it's free and will render a lot faster than Quicktime Pro.
Old March 12th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #5
New Boot

Guys,
thanks for taking time to respond. Isquint sounds like the way to go. I have a problem with "fixing" something that is not broken, so if i can avoid upgrading my OS & FCP software, this is ideal.
-Josh
Joshua White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #6
Major Player

QT7 is compatible with FPC4.5. I've been running that combination on my computers at work for months now. Just make sure to download the package from the Apple website and install it instead of using the Software Update. I don't know why the Software Update doesn't work correctly, but no one who installed the package manually seemed to have problems. So if your needs expand to include H.264, you can upgrade, but I suppose that would render so slow on an 800Mhz iMac that it's not worth it.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite