Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 28th, 2003, 08:14 AM   #1
Warden

New Power Macs, New Monitors and PRICE DROPS

Info on Apple's site.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 08:59 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Thanks, Jeff (especially since you're pecking away with one hand).
Old January 28th, 2003, 10:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

damn $4k for a new dual-1.25 and a 23" cinema display. *almost* makes me rethink my new PD150 sitting over there. ;) almost. must work now to raise $4k...
Old January 28th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Looks like Apple is finally getting their act together in terms of price. That 20" Monitor looks reeeeally nice...

I'm a bit miffed that the low end PowerMac is not a DUAL 1Ghz. Still, great prices. Let's hope the next few months bring about Final Cut Pro 4.
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 11:51 PM   #5
Warden

I expect it no later than NAB. OS 10.2.4 needs to be first and that should be this week.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2003, 11:23 AM   #6
Major Player

I think the new prices and gear are quite nice. I don't know why everybody insist's that:
1. Mac's are so darn expensive. (an equally configured PC is at least as much and usually cost's more)
2. Mac prices are getting cheaper. (they aren't, it just SEEMS like they are because they are stripping some of them down)
When I bought my Dual500 a couple of years ago it was fully loaded (and TOP of the line) and still cost just about what a new "custom configured" Mac cost's now. The only difference is the newer one's are faster. And as for LCD prices, if you thought the Apple one's were expensive, I've seen these puny Sony LCD monitors that cost over $1000 for a 15"! WHAT A CROCK!
I just don't understand the reputation from the completely uninformed public. Mac's have always been a good value investment. Can you even name a PC maker that has Firewire 800 installed on the board? Can you name a PC maker that invented ANYTHING? (nope sorry Intel did USB2 and they don't make computers just chips)
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2003, 01:17 PM   #7

I am a Mac fan, but I see Apple is still bent on that "mirrored drive doors" design, which I hate. I don't hate how it looks, I hate how it functions. There is NO WAY you can open the DVD tray unless you press the button on the keyboard. I have removed the "mirrored" part of my G4 so I can open it any damn time I please and use the MUCH better (and easier to see in low light) Apple ADB keyboard I've had for years, but doesn't have a drive open button. I am also curious why they got rid of the power button on the keyboard.

Also if you want to put an internal Zip drive in the lower slot on this same computer, you're out of luck. You'd have to pry open the door with your fingernails everytime you wanted to insert a disc.

Apple = Style over functionality.
Curtis T. Stoeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2003, 06:01 PM   #8
Major Player

How would you open JUST ONE of the drives if you had dual optical drives? I haven't played with the new "mirror" Mac's yet.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2003, 06:02 PM   #9
Trustee

Just picked up the Cinema 23" HD display- FCP heaven- highly recommended.
$1999
Old January 29th, 2003, 06:27 PM   #10

Very good question, Rhett. All the more reason to use the conventional eject buttons on the drives themselves that PC users enjoy. I wish I knew why Apple tries so hard to hide them.
Curtis T. Stoeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 01:19 AM   #11
Regular Crew

This is good news! Fine products from Apple, and now they have even got great prices.

Ivan
Ivan Hedley Enger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite