Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 30th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How far can I scale from HDV to SD?

Hello,

I'm somewhat new to this...

I have HDV footage of sea life (dolphins, whales, etc) which I would like a bit closer. End product is regular DV Widescreen. I know I can "zoom in" in Final Cut--but is there an exact scale setting that equals DV resolution? I'm working under the assumption that I can crop off HDV's "extra" pixels without harming those that remain.

I'm trying to see how far I can zoom in without losing resolution (in DV).

Thanks!

--Darin
Darin Boville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Drop your HD footage onto a normal SD timeline ("sequence") and you should get a 1:1 ratio. You can then move it around and get what you want in frame.

-Sam
Sam Sutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:19 PM   #3
Inner Circle

In theory you should be able to zoom in as much as 200% and still get usable results, but in practice I've found 150% to be a more realistic limit.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:28 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
In theory you should be able to zoom in as much as 200% and still get usable results, but in practice I've found 150% to be a more realistic limit.
Kevin:

I've noticed that pulling in .m2t file into a SD time line, the zoom affect doesn't translate very well. When you use Cineform intermediate do you have better results ?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:23 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
I've noticed that pulling in .m2t file into a SD time line, the zoom affect doesn't translate very well. When you use Cineform intermediate do you have better results ?
I use Canopus Edius for editing, so my choices are native M2T or the Canopus HQ codec. Either one seems to work okay for zooming within the range I mentioned earlier, but Edius requires a workaround for SD output from HDV which causes problems with the zooming effect.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite