DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP Suddenly sluggish

Hey guys,
I know this is a common question, but I can't tell you how annoying it is when it happens to you! FCP 4.5 suddenly (in the last 30 minutes) became really sluggish. I can't even move the timeline cursor without waiting for the dreaded beach ball to go away. I first noticed the problem in Livetype when I had both programs open. So I figured it didn't like running both programs at once (which I've been doing all the time for a year without problems). I just tried to trash my preferences. I did it all step by step and when I opened the project, the same problem happened. My system info is below. Any ideas on what this sudden problem could be would really help. I'm in a time crunch for getting this project out.
Thanks!
C.

Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 Mac
OS X 10.3.9
2 GB DDR SDRAM
150 GB Mac Hardrive
500 GB G-RAID External Hardrive
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Try doing a safe boot. Just restart your computer and hold down the shift key until the grey screen with the gear turning, then go into your disk utility and repair the permissions of your drive. After that just reboot as normal. BTW how do you like that G-RAID I'm thinking of getting one my self.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Nope, that didn't work. I repaired the permissions and then ran a program called "disk warrior." Neither made a difference. I like the G-RAID. I've never had any problems before. Hopefully this isn't a drive problem.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Did you upgrade your Quicktime recently or install any new Quicktime codecs?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Have you tried to see if your scratch disk is set properly? Meaning free space is available. Any updates that you've done? I know there was a known issue with Apple's OSX update with the FCP HD. Also you may want to isolate the probably by removing your G-RAID to see if it is indeed a drive problem. I doubt it would be because the Disk Warrior should picked it up. (hehehe I used to be Apple's HelpDesk). Take care

Mike
Canon XL2/Glidecam 4000/SteadyStick
Sony PVM-1350 Monitor
Mike Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

There is over 200 GB of free space available on my G-RAID. I'm hoping that the disk warrior took care of it. The first time I brought FCP back up, it looked like I was going to have the same problems so I quit out of it again and let it sit for a little while. Now it looks like things are back to normal, but I'm still treading lightly. The disk warrior did find some problems with the Mac HD, but none with with the G-RAID. And to answer another question, no, I haven't upgraded Quicktime recently. So hopefully you won't be hearing from me on this issue again! Thanks for you speedy replies!
C.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:52 PM   #7
Wrangler

this may sound nutty, but it has worked for me in the past. clear the cache on your web browser. i think it frees up useable RAM, for which FCP is a glutton.

or, if that doesn't work, try sprinkling a little fairy dust on it.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite