XL2/FCP capture settings:Lets settle this finally!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 10th, 2006, 01:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2/FCP capture settings:Lets settle this finally!!

Can someone in the know please post the absolute specific settings in each window of the program in "Audio/Video Settings" window.

We have a "Sequence Presets" tab, and a "Capture Presets" tab and finally a 'Device Control Presets' tab.

Within the "Capture Presets" there is an "advanced" button.

If anyone cares to spoon feed the idiots version of every one of these specific settings for the following xl2 camera settings..

24p
3:2:2:3 pulldown
16:9
ntsc

..you will be bestowed with eternal good karma.
I have tried every variation under the sun and cant get rid of the damn interlace.
Please, lets not get into a discussion on the pros/cons of various methods of shooting/settings. It seems many, many people want desperately to just get the facts, not drag this dead horse out and beat it further.

Problem is with extensive searches in "search", i have yet to find someone who has just narrated every single setting in the "Audio/Video Settings" window in FCP 5, INCLUDING, and very important, the advanced (ie: progressive/interlaced choice)

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE. I cant take the interlace anymore!! It haunts me. It consumes me. It twists its tiny little interlaced knife in me. It..it....it........(sniff)

Now if there is a very specific problem with an XL2 camera setting commonly causing this, that would be great to mention.
Also, what in the 3:2:2:3 pulldown window indicates that it is doing this, especially when you are working in a copy of it?

WHEW!! Very sorry about the long winded question, but i have wasted so much time i am very anxious. Even consulted both my FCP tutorial books to no avail.
Gregory S. Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #2
New Boot

ive done this before by captureing the footage first as 29.97 with anamorphic 16X9 setting then I dumped it into cinema tools for pull down removal. If you have cinema tools just read and fallow the manual for 24p pulldown removal.

Then when you have all your footage just set the sequence settings for 23.98 fps and anamorphic and you should be all set to go.

Now, if you dont have cinema tools I cant help you because Ive had major problems with FCP's Advanced pulldown removal. It just has never worked for me.
Jack McTigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Waking the dead

I too have had a VERY hard time finding one CLEAR and straightforward workflow for capturing 24p 16:9
HOWEVER- I need it for regular 24p, not the 24pA.

So can someone break it down-- easy setup=?
Capture preset=?
Timeline preset=?
Export file with what settings?

And further- how to import to DVD studio Pro and maintain the 24p... all the tests I've done have exported my 24p to 29.97 and its NOT progressive...interlaced.

I kindly appreciate someones help with this-- I know its been quite the 'overasked' question, but it seems every post I find contradicts what I just rest elsewhere... Also my tests have failed to help me figure it out.

As of right now, I capture 24p and the audio is out of sync- so i know my settings can't be right.

HELP PLEASE !!

I will forever be in your debt!

~jeff

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite