DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 11th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #1
Major Player

17 inch Macbook Pro

Has anyone tried editing on the 17 inch Macbook Pro with 5.1 yet and what do you think.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:22 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Gary,

I am using a 15" MacBook Pro and it flies.

Macrumors has some reports of the first few 17" coming in.

Tom
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:58 AM   #3

According to the ups.com tracking site my new MacBook Pro 17" has moved from "Arrival Scan" to "Out for Delivery," so I should get it any hour now. I can let you know, but I'm sure if Tom's 15" MacBook Pro is flying, the 17" will be equal.

I ordered it from one of our sponsors (Guy @ DVeStore.com) and he could not believe how fast it was. He was impressed enough that he let me know that he was going to order one for himself.

Guy also made it easy by installing the new FCP Universal for me, so I did not have to wait for the new disks to arrive and do it myself. I guess that's another advantage of buying from an "Apple Authorized Pro Video Value Added Reseller." All he needed was my serial #.

Last edited by Guest; May 12th, 2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #4
Major Player

Great let us know, I was at NAB and watched it demo'd but its not like really getting down and working with it. would love to hear your opinion.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #5

I Like the MacBook Pro 17"

I have not spent too much time with it yet. I would have tried FCP 5.1 out sooner, but I recently moved and had a hard time finding my serial number for FCP 4. I just found it a little while ago, so I loaded up 5.1 and it works well. Seems to do things just as quick on it as my dual 2.7 G5. The HVX200 footage played just fine and FCP was quick and reponsive to navigate around in.

I was pleasantly surprised with the fact that I felt like the 17" screen was enough room to feel comfortable moving around in and seeing. I had thought that it would be tough going from a 22" Cinema to the 17" laptop screen.

Previously I had planned on also loading two PC programs, DV Rack and Ultra 2, but changed my mind about that since I already have those two programs on a Sony Vaio laptop and I've been happy with how they work on those.

As of this moment I plan on using the MacBook Pro as a telepromptor

[ see Teleprompter vs. Laptop - http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=teleprompter ]

...and as a way to check over footage I shoot if I'm away from my home studio. This way I can make sure everyone's happy with the footage and I can make sure the HVX200 has indeed transferred the footage from the camera to the HDD successfully after I download P2 footage straight to the HDD directly - although I've never had a problem with this in the 20 or so transfers I've done.

Then I can use my Sony Vaio with DVRack with my HVX while shooting if I wish.

One thing I REALLY missed instantly with working with the MacBook Pro was my color-coded/FCP shortcut LogicKeyboard. Although I could always just plug the keyboard into the MacBook if I wanted to. Other than that though, I like working on it. I had it on yesterday quite a bit while loading Windows XP and a few other programs and it never got hot, like I had read regarding the 15" MacBooks when first released. So I think Apple got that figured out real quick.

I'll post back if I think of any additional items or run across anything good or bad that I think the community would find interesting.

Last edited by Guest; May 14th, 2006 at 10:24 AM.
Old May 14th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite