New to Mac's- will this configuration work out of the box? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 14th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #1
New Boot

New to Mac's- will this configuration work out of the box?

I realize this type of question is asked a lot and I have read through the archives, but haven't found an answer yet. I have called Apple and they don't seem to know what a NLE is. Will this straight from the store computer work with at least SD until I can make some $ to upgrade to faster HDD RPM?
Configuration=
Powermac dual 2.0 G5
1ghtz FSB
4gb memory
nvidia 7800 gt GPU
2 500gb 7200 sata HDD. (they won't sell a 160 and a 500 together)
OS=Tiger
FCP 5.1 Studio
Boris FX
23" Flat HD monitor
(cam=XL2)
Does anyone see any problems with this configuration? Is 7200 rpm too slow? If I didn't have a deadline I would buy one 160 gb hdd from Apple and a third party 10,000rpm hdd, but as soon as it arrives I have to start editing a (sd) TV program with a 30 day deadline from today. Also, how do I explain to them how to configure a TV out for a monitor? They don't seem to know what I am talking about. Anything else? Thanks and hello to all, John
#2 edit.Thanks for your help. Any ideas on how to explain to Apple how to configure the (vga)tv out for production monitor?

Last edited by John Grant; May 15th, 2006 at 06:52 AM.
John Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Wrangler

John,

You have a very capable machine for editing SD and HDV. Final Cut Pro is of course, an NLE as is, iMovie and Final Cut Express. The person on the phone probably has no idea about video editing and what "non-linear editor" actually refers to.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #3
Wrangler

I have a dual 2.5 G5 and it works very well for SD and HDV, so I think you'll be fine. 7200 RPM should be plenty fast for internal drives (is there even anything faster?). You could just buy a single drive machine and add your own second internal SATA drive to save some money; it's really easy and instructions are in the owners manual. Drives are available from CompUSA, Best Buy and other places. Same thing for RAM. Of course getting everything from Apple would simplify warranty and troubleshooting issues though.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #4
Trustee

That'll work like a champ...it's bigger than what I've got!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

im only 15 and i got my Power mac Dual 2.3GHz pc about two weeks ago with the basic equipment 256 Graphics memory and 512mb ram i was editing 2 hour projects on it and it is fine. A bit slow when rendering but fine. i have tried HD then it gets a bit slow. i use final cut express HD 3.0 and it works fine. you computer looks to be really good.
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite