16:9 clips in a 4:3 timeline back to 16:9 in FCP5? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 15th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #1
Tourist

16:9 clips in a 4:3 timeline back to 16:9 in FCP5?

I'm wondering if anyone could help me with a little issue.
I have a bunch of footage shot on an XL2 and I had to edit it in the standard 4:3 timeline so I could print the final project back to MiniDV tape for a presentation. It worked perfectly and letterboxed the 16:9 footage properly. Now that I have this long elaborate sequence edited and rendered in a 4:3 timeline, is there a way to get the sequence to work in a 16:9 timeline? I've tried simply selecting the anamorphic option and all it does is compress the already letterboxed footage rather than removing the letterbox. Thanks in advance.
Joe Lotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Joe, what I would do is copy and paste your entire edit into a new 16:9 sequence, then select all and right click remove attributes. The only thing that you want to remove is the distort property. This should scale everything correctly.
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #3
Wrangler

I think Nate's solution should do the trick for you. But the next time you need to do something like this, edit everything in anamorphic 16:9 for starters. Then when you're finished with the edit, create a new 4:3 sequence and drop your 16:9 sequence into it. That will letterbox everything while still preserving your original widescreen version.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #4
Tourist

Thanks for the tip, I tried doing something like that, but I changed the anamorphic properties for the sequence rather than the clips themselves. I'll try it when I get home.

I think I tried dropping a 16:9 sequence into a new 4:3 timeline before, but it just squeezed the image and didn't letterbox it. That's why I created I created everything for this one in a 4:3 timeline. But again, I didn't change the attribute for the clips themselves, so that must've been my problem.

Thanks again.
Joe Lotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

With Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Then when you're finished with the edit, create a new 4:3 sequence and drop your 16:9 sequence into it. That will letterbox everything while still preserving your original widescreen version.
Boyd, (or anyone)

Any thoughts on this:

I'll soon be editing a piece shot in native 16:9 DVCAM. The client wants the final presentation in 4:3 letterbox with pop up text in the letterboxed area. Now, when I import an anamorphic clip and drop it into a 4:3 timeline FCP seems to automatically adjust the distort function by 33.33% (effectively creating a letterboxed version in the sequence.)

Would you go ahead and edit the full piece in this manner OR do all the cutting in 16:9 then drop down to 4:3 for the addition of graphics? I'm afraid I'll need to go with 4:3 from the "getgo" because of the need to comp in graphics as I do the actual edit. 99.9% sure of that now that I type it.

Anyway, my MAIN question is: Is there any noticeable resolution drop by taking anamorphic 16:9 footage into a "distorted" 4:3 timeline.

Anything I'm missing here?

Thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite