Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Please Help. Need information.

Hello:

I just bought a brand new G5, and had the Final Cut Pro HD software installed in. When i try to run it, it tell me that there is an error, that a AGP graphics card is not found. I checked my system on the G5, and it has an NVIDIA 6600 graphics card and not the one the system tells me its missing.

What can I do???
Angel Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #2
Wrangler

For starters I would check apple's website in the support/download area and see if there's an update to your version of FCP. This problem has been discussed a lot in the past. FCP 5 required the AGP graphics card originally, but when Apple updated the G5 to dual core machines they got rid of AGP graphics cards and replaced them with PCI express which is faster. But the older FCP software only looks for AGP and if it isn't found the software assumes that your card is too slow. I'm pretty sure there's an update to FCP which fixes this. You could try using the software update pane in system preferences for starters.

Otherwise I know there were some hacks posted to deal with the problem, and maybe someone else here can point you to them? If you strike out with all this then visit Apple's FCP support forum here: http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=939
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #3
Wrangler

I just looked around a little on Apple's website. Are you running a version of FCP 4 perhaps? If so then Apple says it isn't supported on the new G5's:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302667

Quote:
Final Cut Pro 4 through Final Cut Pro HD 4.5 require a computer with an AGP video card for installation. PowerMac G5 (Late 2005) models (released October 19, 2005) and iMac G5 (iSight) models feature newer PCI Express video cards. Because of this, you can't install Final Cut Pro 4.x on these computers. Final Cut Pro 4.x is not supported on these computers.
However I still think there's a hack out there to make it work, try the Apple forum link in my earlier post. Otherwise you might want to upgrade to the latest version of Final Cut Studio, which is a pretty good deal at $200 for FCP 4 owners: http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much for your help. Your information was really what i needed.

Best

Angel Mario
Angel Mario is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite