DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 27th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Final Cut Pro 5.1.1 & Sony Z1P Capture Problem

I've been searching the Internet for a couple of hours, but no luck.

All I want to do is capture some HDV footage from my Sony Z1P into Final Cut Pro 5.1.1, but it will NOT work. I'm using an eMac (so NOT an Intel machine) and the latest version of Tiger and Quicktime.

I have tried both the "1080i50 HDV" and "1080i50 HDV Basic" easy setups. I have also tried changing the deck control to "Sony HDV".

When I open the "Log & Capture" window, I can control the Sony Camera. Play, Stop, etc. works. FCP can see the correct incoming timecode. The video preview window is black; I'm not sure if this is supposed to be the case.

When I click "Capture Now" (or any of the other capture options) the capture preview window opens, again showing no video footage (just blackness), and shows the following text at the bottom of the screen:

WAITING FOR DATA FROM DEVICE

After a few seconds the capture window closes and a message box appears saying:

No Data From Device
Capture was aborted because of lack of incoming data from device.

I tried capturing using the AIC, and that worked.

Why can't I capture HDV native???

Downconvert is OFF on the camera, and the VTR mode is set to HDV.

If I can control the deck in the "Log & Capture" window, surely it's getting all the data it needs!?!

From what I've read, it's normally a piece of cake to capture Z1 footage in FCP. Just click an Easy Setup and away you go. Why is FCP picking on me?
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Could be a bug or maybe, God forbid, something wrong with the tape. But don't panic. Search around for others who may have had the same problems.

-Nate
Nathan Brendan Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for your reply Nate.

The tapes fine - that's not the issue. FCP works fine when you capture DV footage of the same tape (down converted on camera).

Yes, it must be a FCP bug - the question is...how do I fix it?
Old May 28th, 2006, 03:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Could someone that uses Final Cut Pro 5.1.1 and a Sony Z1P please post what setting they use?

I'm still having no luck...

Thanks!
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:57 AM   #5
Wrangler

Never seen that one. Could be a corrupted Quicktime file maybe? You might try switching the camera to 60i mode for a test, then see if you can capture that with the HDV1080i60 easy setup.

Also, this may be too obvious but there have been a few other posts where it resolved a similar problem. Start FCP and close any projects which are open. Now go to Easy Setup and choose 1080i50. Now open a new project. That will make double sure that ALL your settings (capture, clip, sequence) match. See if you can then capture.

Can you capture regular DV from the camera? But the fact that you can capture with the AIC settings but not with HDV makes me suspect there's a problem with your installation of either FCP or Quicktime.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #6
Major Player

I ended up wiping the hard drive and starting from scratch. After reinstalling Tiger and Final Cut Studio and installing the latest Quicktime & FCS update, HDV capture worked fine! Yay!

But...

Then I installed Pro Tools LE (Mbox), Photoshop CS and Reason 3, and now it's not working again!

So obviously one of these programs is causing FCS some grief.

What should I do????

I really don't want to reinstall Tiger + FCS again, and install each program one by one with testing in between. And, eitherway, I need ALL these programs to work together HAPPILY...

Unlike last time though, I can't capture DV footage either. It just says "unable to find dv device". Haven't tried capturing in 60i yet. But I doubt that'll work. Haven't tried AIC again. I have a funny feeling that'll work though...

I installed FCE2 again, and it captures fine.

What's going on?

Final Cut 5 is driving me crazy!
Old June 2nd, 2006, 09:45 PM   #7
Major Player

Questions for people running Final Cut Pro 5.1.1, Quicktime 7.1 and Tiger 10.4.6 on a G5:

1. If you also use Pro Tools LE with the original Mbox - straight out of the box (i.e. no updates) - do/did you have any problems with FCP?

2. If you also use Photoshop CS - straight out of the box - do/did you have any problems with FCP?

3. If you also run Reason 3 - straight out of the box - do/did you have any problems with FCP?

The only other software I have installed is a driver for a Shuttle Pro, driver for a Wacom Tablet and a driver for a USB MIDI device.

I just can't work out why FCP isn't playing nicely.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 05:47 PM   #8
Major Player

OK... as I'm not getting much of a response, I'll post a (hopefully!) easier question:

If I format my eMac again, what is the best ORDER to install/setup the following:

- MacOS Updates
- Quicktime Updates
- Final Cut Studio 5
- Final Cut Studio 5 Updates
- Reason
- Protools
- Photoshop
- Tablet Drivers
- MIDI Device Drivers

All I want to do is edit some HDV footage. It shouldn't be this hard.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 08:09 PM   #9
Wrangler

I'd love to help, but I'm running FPC 5.0.3 on a dual 2.5 G5, and I don't have the other software you're using. It sounds like you localized the problem with your earlier re-install. But really, the thing which stands out to me is that you're running some pretty high end software on a bottom of the line computer :-) Maybe you should consider putting the audio software on a separate machine?

I hope you find a resolution to your problems.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 03:55 AM   #10
Major Player

Yay! It's finally working!

For anyone who cares, this is what I did:

1. Fresh install of MacOS X Tiger (Erase)
2. Installed MacOS X 10.4.6 Update
3. Installed Security Update 2006-003
4. Installed Quicktime 7.1.1 Update
5. Installed Final Cut Studio 5
6. Installed Cinema Tools 3.1.1 Update
7. Installed Final Cut Pro 5.1.1 Update

I then tested FCP and made sure capturing HDV worked. I did a few computer and camera power cycles to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

I then downloaded the lastest updates for the other software (ShuttlePro drivers, MIDI Driver, Protools Updates, etc.) and tested capturing in HDV with every new installation. I installed Photoshop, Reason, Protools, etc. with any problems. HDV capturing still works. FCP seems to be running fine.

The only things I didn't end up installing were the tablet driver and some of the Protools Plugins (Factory Kit, etc.). I doubt the tablet or Protools plugins would have prevented capturing though...

I'm presuming the original problem was due to Quicktime 7.1, although I have no proof to back this theory up. I think installing 7.1.1 over the original [that came with Tiger] solved the issue.

The only other thing I can think it could have been was a conflict with some software and Tiger (maybe Protools?). Installing the lastest updates (Protools LE 6.9.2) coud have solved it. Not sure.

Never-the-less it's fixed! Yay!

My advice: always download the latest updates of software when installing them for the first time.
Old June 15th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #11
New Boot

Z1U Capture

Sorry I didn't see this thread ealier. I have a Z1U and has a similar problem. The problem was that "i.LINK CONV" was turned on (IN/OUT MENU). That will give you the symptoms that you first described. Glad you found a solution. JimT
Jim Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks Jim!
Old February 17th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #13
Major Player

Much hair pulling and gnashing of teeth!!!

Firstly, thanks, fellas for all your advice here. Most valuable and informative.
I've read about the ditching of the older Quicktime receipts, the ditching of the preference files, the clean installs, and the upgrading of hardware.

The first hurdle I had was to ingest around 40 hours of HDV footage originally shot on a Z1U but playing back on an M10U into a 1080i60 setup based on an accelerated G4 with OS10.4, FCP 5.1.2 and QT7.1.3. The machine was a 1HGz, 1.75GB RAM machine.

I could ingest properly, although it was a reinstall to get around the "no data" problem that first brought me to this thread.

I wanted to ingest some more tapes, this time with an FX1 as a playback unit. The FCP plumb will not see the FX1 as a deck at all. Zero communications down the FW line.

I've reinstalled QT, and am in the process of doing the whole dance all over again, this time using a powerPC Intel Mac as the engine, and the latest FCP 5.1.3 just out today. I have tight deadlines and this is driving me crazy.

Anybody else think this is ridiculous? Do I have to do a clean install of everything every time I want to switch out a deck?
Chris Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #14
Major Player

You shouldn't have to reinstall everything every time you wish to switch decks!

Have you:

- Double checked the FX1 settings? Have you got all the right options selected?
- Done all the usual FCP fixes such as deleting preference files, etc.?
- Checked the FCP capture settings?
- Made sure that the actual firewire cable is working?
- Made sure that the camera can capture in DV mode (down converted), ensuring that the firewire port on the camera isn't faulty?

You obviously don't have access to the M10U again to capture the rest of the footage?

I don't see any logical reason as to why you system can capture using the desk, and not the camera. I would guess that its a simple thing you're missing, such as an option in the camera or in FCP. I wouldn't do a reinstall just yet until you've triple checked all the options.

I believe the reason I had to do a reinstall back in May was due to a buggy version of Quicktime 7.1.1.

Finally, you can't have a "PowerPC Intel Mac". They are different brands of processors.

Hope this helps...
Old February 17th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #15
Major Player

Also, have you tried setting up a new project from scratch and tried capturing into that (as opposed to your original project with the already captured footage from the deck)?
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite