trying to edit 24p AND 24pa in FCP. please help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 26th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

trying to edit 24p AND 24pa in FCP. please help

I'm editing a wedding that was a two camera shoot. The first camera is a JVC HD-100 and it was shot in 24p. The second camera was a DVX 100a and it was shooting 24pa.

both were 16:9

What's the best way to edit both of these on the same timeline?

Do I need to capture them differently?

I just captured some footage from both, and the footage from the JVC (shot in 24p) has a bit more height than the Panasonic. It also shows up as a stretched 4:9 in the canvas, but when put in the timeline, it comes up as 16:9. I can't have different size black boxes on the top and bottom! It will be noticable on a bigger screen.

Can anyone help? I figure its a problem with how I'm capturing. I'll make sure to double check and make sure I'm shooting the same format next time. For now though, I'm on a deadline, and any help would be appreciated!

[dan]
Dan G. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Major Player

The jvc uses square pixels and the panny uses rectangular, not to mention the obvoius\huge diff in resolution. Even if you capture both at native resolutions 1 camera will be timeline native the other will not. I think the easiest workaround is to edit each camera on it's own layer. Adjust the first clip on the non-native layer(ideally the jvc) then paste attributes to every subsequent clip on that layer. The inability to deal with different media on the same timeline is FCP's biggest drawback. Good Luck, Jason.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #3
Major Player

HDV and DV...so mixing HD and SD into one timeline. Then there is the fact that FCP doesn't support HDV 24p yet. Maybe with LumiereHD, but...

What you need to do is choose one format and edit in that one. Which means that the footage from the other camera will constantly need rendering. BUT, since you can downconvert HDV to DV...and the other camera is DV, you can edit on a DV timeline and be golden.

If FCP allows you to capture the 24p footage from the JVC at DV res.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite