DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 9th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #1
Major Player

Changing speed for clips

Hi,

I want to create the speed up/slow down effect on some clips, such as the fight scene in Ranging Bull by Martin Scorsese. ANyone share the best and maybe easiest way to do it, without losing any or very little quality/resolution.

Thanks guys
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm getting ready to buy Vegas and that's a nice selling point for it. Using the velocity envelope you can play with the speed of a clip and have it ramp up/ slow down over time. Plus, you can have it do all that in the same clip. Nice. Very much a cool effect and one of the pulls for getting Vegas. Well, that and the HDV Cineform codec. ConnectHD seems like a really sweet codec to add to the workflow.

Anyway, since you didn't say which program you're using I don't know if this was helpful but it is a standard feature within the full Vegas 6 suite. I know there are some very expensive plug-ins available for Premiere Pro and After Effects that will do it but they cost more than Vegas does.
Greg Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Major Player

I use FCP 5
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #4
Wrangler

Hi Brian. For a better response, post your software-specific questions to the Final Cut Pro forum; I'm moving your thread there.

I hate to admit it, but I never saw Raging Bull! However, it sounds like the FCP time-remapping function is what you want. I've only used it a couple times myself so I don't have any great insights; maybe someone else will. But for starters, see the section beginning in Volume III, page 311 for a description of this function and what you can do with it. You can also access the manuals using the Help menu inside FCP.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #5
Major Player

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/tutorials/ watch the one on time remapping.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite