DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 11th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #1
New Boot

Corrupt file - grey screen of death

I have been making a feature using FCP 5.1.1. Our editor and I have all the DVCPRO HD files exactly the same on each computer. when there is a new cut the fcp project is uploaded to idisk and I reconnect files. I discovered that we needed to nest sequences for my computer as it is slower than the editors. Today I uploaded the file. At first it would load. i reconnected all the media. One sequence was really long I started to get the spinning colour ball.After 20 mins I quit out. When I restarted FCP I got that horrible grey screen which tells you to restart .I have chucked out any caches I can think of. So I went back to old versions of the film. None of these earlier projects open. Projects totally unrelated open up fine.My data is on External lacie drives.So I disconnected these but no joy. Any help on this would be amazing.Many thanks
David Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #2
New Boot

couldn't hurt to move the plist

Boot in Single User Mode (hold down Cmd-S at boot)
At the prompt, type:

mount -uw /

Hit Return
At the prompt, type:

mv /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist /var/root/.

Hit Return
At the prompt, type:

reboot

Hit Return
Your Mac should reboot and you should get back to the login window. You've lost nothing, as you only moved (mv) the preference file, should you need to go back to it for any reason.
Jason Matherne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite