FCP 4.5 & Quicktime 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 13th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #1
New Boot

FCP 4.5 & Quicktime 7

I was wondering if anyone has had problems with FCP after they upgraded to quicktime 7?? I did this to 4 of the 5 stations we have at work and the ones I upgraded all seem to crash(not really a crash but a "general error 39") when I apply EQ to audio... if I take it off it seems to be fine.... When I move the project to the one station that is still on quicktime 6 there is no problem... All the stations are powermac G5 dual OSX.3.9, FCP 4.5, Quicktime 7.1.2(I think that's the latest)... Any suggestions on a workaround would be helpful....Thanks

Richard Stiehm
Richard Stiehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #2
Wrangler

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301852

this may or may not help but in each FCP upgrade, i've had to do this to get full functionality....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #3
Wrangler

There are definitely some issues with FCP 4.5 and QT7. When it first came out there were major problems, then Apple issued some FCP 4.5 updates. Have you checked to be sure that you have applied all the available updates to FCP? A quick look at Apple's site turned these up, there may be more:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...deoupdate.html

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...acosx1039.html

These issues were discussed a lot last year when QT7 came out, followed shortly by FCP5. I was in the middle of several big projects with FCP4.5 at the time and I made it a point NOT to switch to QT7. When things calmed down last winter I made the switch to FCP5, QT7 and MacOSX 10.4. Since then I have read posts from people who say that everything is fine with FCP4.5/QT7/MacOS 10.3.9, and then there are others like you who are having problems. So it's hard to sort out. Unfortunately as time goes by you find yourself in the minority when using older software and this sort of thing can get really frustrating.

Have you searched through old posts on Apple's FCP support forums? You may find something helpful there:

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=939

Let us know if you are able to resolve the problem and what you did - it may help others.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the replys.... I have been able to convince the powers that be that it would be in the best interest of the company to upgrade our systems to the most current FCP, OS, and Quicktime which I hope with my fingers crossed will take care of the problem.

Rich Stiehm
Richard Stiehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #5
Major Player

That should solve your issue. Two procedural notes:

I have read in several sources that it is best to install the QT update (current version) 7.1.2 before installing FCP 5.1 upgrade/crossgrade. Apparently FCP can go a little bonkers if QT 7.1.2 is installed afterwards. However, I believe some people are using FCP 5.1 with an earlier version of QT without issue.

Also, when updating your OS, visit Apple's website and download the Combo Update for 10.4.7. I is much better to install OS Combo Updates than the updates that Software Update downloads.

Of course, if you can wait 3 weeks, OSX 10.5 may very well be available. We will see!
Old July 17th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sayre
Of course, if you can wait 3 weeks, OSX 10.5 may very well be available. We will see!
We were discussing this in another thread, and a couple people pointed out that Apple is expected to demonstrate 10.5 but may not actually start shipping it at WWDC. However, if you buy 10.4 now you would have to pay the full price to upgrade to 10.5 whenever it comes out. In the past, Apple has offered something called the "up to date" program which (if they do this again) would let you buy 10.4 after the 10.5 announcement and then upgrade for a nominal cost, when 10.5 actually ships.

So yeah, I'd wait a few more weeks if you can, especially if you need to buy multiple copies of OS X.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
We were discussing this in another thread, and a couple people pointed out that Apple is expected to demonstrate 10.5 but may not actually start shipping it at WWDC.
Yes, I do realize that but I'm hoping for an early gift from Apple. They do like to under promise and over deliver!

But, you are correct. It is best to wait three weeks and see what actually happens.
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #8
Wrangler

anyone know what 10.5 might have to offer that the current version does not, and would these offerings impact FCP functionality in any substantial way? now that i spent half a day troubleshooting FCP 5.1.1, and it is stable and running just swell, i'm not eager to update the system right away...unless there's something really big in the offing....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite