Combining 4:3 and 16:9 footage. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 20th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #1
New Boot

Combining 4:3 and 16:9 footage.

I am learning how to use my Panasonic DVX100B and have started shooting in 16:9 format. I was wondering if it is possible to combine and edit segments shot in 4:3 with those I am now shooting in 16:9 in FCP.

-Thanks
Patricia Yurkinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #2
Wrangler

There are various ways to approach this, but a sequence has to be either 4:3 or 16:9, it can't be both. If you drop a 4:3 clip into a 16:9 timeline then it will automatically "pillarbox" with a black bar to the left and right.

If you drop a 16:9 clip into a 4:3 sequence it will automatically letterbox, with a black bar above and below.

If either of these isn't what you want, double click on your clip in the timeline so that it opens in the viewer. Choose image+wireframe mode in the viewer and grab one of the dots in the 4 corners of the image by pointing to it and holding down the mouse button. Now drag outward and the image will zoom larger. This would allow you to fill the full width of the 16:9 sequence with a 4:3 clip, or it would let you fill the full height of a 4:3 clip in a 16:9 sequence.

Does that help?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks...that sounds feasible, but won't the images be distorted if I drag them into the shape of a rectangle that isn't proportionate to the original clip?
Patricia Yurkinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #4
Wrangler

No, the proportions will be maintained. But if you drag the 16:9 clip outward in the 4:3 frame, when you fill the frame vertically some of the image will be lost to the left and right. If you drag the 4:3 clip to fill a 16:9 frame then some of the image is lost above and below.

Give it a try and you'll see what happens.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 01:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Mixed timeline 4:3 16:9

This is the question: We opened 4:3 and 16:9 footage in a 4:3 timeline with anamorphic "on". The goal is to export 4:3 footage letterboxed at a size ~ 16:9.
The project is a dance performance in Paris dur. 95 min, 6 cameras to mix and hundreds of clips.
1. Is there a way to automate the procedure for the adjustment of the frame sizes.

2. At the final export what should be the settings in order to get an MPEG2 4:3 letterboxed.

These question are for a coleague of mine who has to deliver on monday and he cannot get the proper export size. In the 4:3 anamorphique timeline the clips, both 16:9 and 4:3 keep their correct aspect, when he exports as QT or using the compresor the image becomes squized. He is using FCP4 on a G4 mac and is the first time that he mixes resolutions and aspects.

Thanks on behalf of Duchan
Panos
Panos Bournias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:45 AM   #6
New Boot

Hey Panos, did your colleague ever solve the problem? I'm just curious as to what the solution was if he did.
Matt Peltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:02 PM   #7
Major Player

There is a great tutorial on this at www.proapptips.com/captmench MULTI ASPECT RATIOS
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

My experience from the DVX100a is that it shoots a 4:3 image with letterbox bars to simulate 16:9. Maybe I was doing things wrong, but anyway, my workflow was a 4:3 timeline, brought both 16:9 and 4:3 stuff in, then cropped the 4:3 stuff by 11 on the top and bottom to match the 16:9 letterboxing.

maybe this workflow will work for you, but if not, just punch me in the face & call me nancy.
Brian Critchlow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite