i've registered my store bought FCP studio, can i now install it on another computer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 21st, 2006, 09:06 PM   #1
Major Player

i've registered my store bought FCP studio, can i now install it on another computer?

Hi all,
I own a Mac Quad and FCP Studio, and will soon be getting an Intel MacBook Pro laptop - can i install my FCP Studio to it, do i need to by another version (i know i need to upgrade to universal), do i purchase another license fee, or just can i simply install off the cd-roms and no problems...
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 12:01 AM   #2
Major Player

No problem just install fcp studio to your new machine. I'm not 100% sure on all the legal details but the way I heard it explained is that you can install it on multiple machines you just can't use it at the same time. Hope that helps.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 07:34 AM   #3
Wrangler

Rather than relying on hearsay, why not just read the license? :-)

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/finalcutstudio51.pdf

Quote:
This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on one Apple-labeled desktop computer and one Apple-labeled laptop computer so long as both computers are owned and used by you.
So if you own both a laptop and a desktop machine, it's OK to install it on both as long as you're the one using it. But aside from this exception, you may not install it on other machines:

Quote:
This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software
available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.
You can sell the full Final Cut Studio package to someone else, but not the indivdual components:

Quote:
You may, however, make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your license rights to the Apple Software to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer must include all of the Apple Software, including all its component parts, original media, printed materials and this License; (b) you do not retain any copies of the Apple Software, full or partial
And if you upgrade to a new version you can't sell or continue to use the old version:

Quote:
If an Apple Software update completely replaces (full install) a previously licensed version of the Apple Software, you may not use both
versions of the Apple Software at the same time nor may you transfer them separately.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 10:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Boyd - why rely in hearsay - my kinda guy! I looked all over last night, for the licensing agreement - you are the man...
And this is exactly my intended use, one desktop, one laptop...
Thanks for your specificity!

Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 12:50 PM   #5
Trustee

The EULA text, for all licensed software, is presented first thing upon running the installation program. Most folks just click or select "I Agree" and move on to install process without reading it.

You should read the EULA before agreeing, it's a contract.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 01:27 PM   #6
Wrangler

That's a good point. You might also want to bookmark this page on Apple's site which lists all their software licenses: http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/

Most software companies will have an area on their site with all their licenses, but it can be hard to find; try clicking on a "site map" link if they have one on the home page. Just the other day I wanted to review the site license terms for some database software we're upgrading and it took a little digging to find, but it was there :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite