HVX and unique file names in FCP recreatable? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 22nd, 2006, 02:43 AM   #1
Major Player

HVX and unique file names in FCP recreatable?

Hello all - well I ran a search and didn't come up with much and am on an insane time crunch on a feature so don't have the time to test - the film is being shot on hvx, 720pn with p2 cards -

My question is, if for some reason our QT "wrappered" files used for editing the feature become corrupt or a harddrive goes down etc., will reimporting the raw p2 files into FCP from hard drive backups create the same file names for FCP to reconnect with or do they change file names everytime you bring raw p2 card files in?

ex: my timeline is pointing to qt files in my capture scratch that were converted from raw p2 files. My capture scratch has files with names like:

0019xi.mov
0018zf.mov
etc.
etc.

If I lost my capture scratch folder and reimported the same raw p2 folder for qt "conversion" in fcp, will the file names stay the same as listed above or do they change?

I have a newfound paranoia after I had serious issues with two different Graids (1 was a terabyte drive, one a 500 gig purchased 8 months apart for different projects, I hope everyone knows that Gtech had a faulty part installed in their graids that effect 13% of their product line but they couldn't afford a recall, this coming from their mouths to me, they're based in Santa Monica very close by to me and I had to stop by in person 5-6 times over the past month - I plan to write a little article on this and gtech and the danger of firewire drives I never fully understood until now - once I finish this current feature) on the last feature and I almost lost an entire film - anyways, thanks in advance for the help.
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 09:17 AM   #2
Major Player

I'm just throwing ideas around here Bryan since I've never worked with p2 but as long as the clips you re-imported had the same in and out points and timecode you could manually re-connect them if you had to because you can reconnect any files in your project to any media file on your hard drive.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 12:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Well it's not quite that easy as say DV tapes where you name each tape - here you have p2 reel numbers (or that's the way I import them is by each p2 card, which is VERY arduous but helps as a safeguard) but there's no tape2 or scene3 in the file names, FCP creates random file names for each raw p2 file - well the whole question is that - does FCP create random file names each time or is it a unique name?
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #4
Major Player

That unique number is not generated by FCP. It is generated by the HVX when it records to the P2 card. Just look in the CONTENTS folder in the VIDEO folder and you will see.

If you lose a drive, simply reimporting will create the same filenames and reconnecting will be a snap.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Ah, very nice to know - I've been pondering that since the last feature I worked on had shot on the HVX. Thanks as always Shane...
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite