Ingest 1080p25 clips as 'mimmic 1080i50' possible? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 1st, 2006, 11:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Ingest 1080p25 clips as 'mimmic 1080i50' possible?

I work with the new Sony PDW-F330 and FinalCutPro 5.1. For this moment I shoot and edit 1080i50 because Apple didn't supply codecs to do 1080p25. There are several reasons to dislike interlaced video. One of them is scaling. There are rarely plasma's, LCD-screens and beamers that have a real 1080 output. They are often smaller and do scaling to fit the signal to the screen. Interlaced leads to problems when it comes to scaling. Thats why I'm looking for a way to edit in FCP in 1080p25. In my opinion there isn't much difference between a 'i' and a 'p' codec. You can de-interlace a clip and output it with the 1080i50 codec. But de-interlacing afterwards is not as good as aquisition in progressive. So I'm looking for a way to ingest 1080p25 in FCP.
I think modifying the imported MXF files is the only legal and realistic way to accomplish this. Modifying an Apple codec is illegal and writing one yourself is not very realistic.

Here is what I tried:
I made two clips, one 1080p25 and one 1080i50, with FAM I transfered those to the desktop. I tried to modify the MXF 'p' file by opening both files side by side in Texteditor. By copying and pasting lines from the header I tried to let the 1080p file mimmic as a 1080i file. I did several attempts to open modified files with XDCAM transfer. The mimmic trick works, but the transfer not. Errors, program crashes and so on.
I did only use my 'farmers brain' (Dutch), but maybe someone else can find out a trick (and write a script to automate the proces on the fly) to ingest 1080p25 clips as 'mimmic 1080i50' clips with XDCAM transfer.

Klaas van Urk

Note: I'm aware that a 'progressive 1080i' signal doesn't meet any standard. My clients do not care. They use a computer (plus DVI-D to HDMI cable) as a player for their HD productions. It will work!
Klaas van Urk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 05:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Apple updated FCP to version 5.1.2.
It supports 1080 24p, 25p and 30p now.
Problem solved!
Klaas van Urk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

FCP supported 1080p 25 for a while. Thing is that you have to set your field dominance to "none" in your sequence preset.

This is also a godd idea if you're working with stills.

Still have to, as of 5.1.2

Gunleik

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite