DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Automatic Audio Crossfades w/ FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/73187-automatic-audio-crossfades-w-fcp.html)

Scott Jaco August 7th, 2006 10:00 PM

Automatic Audio Crossfades w/ FCP

Is there a way to automatically crossfade the audio between each cut?

Greg Boston August 7th, 2006 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Jaco
Is there a way to automatically crossfade the audio between each cut?

If you cross dissolve the video, the audio will crossfade as long as the audio and video tracks are linked(the chain link icon in the upper right of the timeline.)

There is also a dedicated audio crossfade in the effects menu under audio transitions. The default is a +3db crossfade.

-gb-

Scott Jaco August 7th, 2006 11:37 PM

That doesn't work. The chainlink only lets me edit the audio seperatly from the video. Having them linked doesn't affect the audio when you add a cross dissolve. I just tested it.

Kevin Wild August 8th, 2006 08:55 AM

Try this. It's not the easiest way, but it works.

-First, duplicate the sequence in case this doesn't work :-)

-Make sure your default transition is the dissolve length you want (it will be underlined in your effects window)
-Now lock your video track and highlight ALL clips in your timeline
-Now, grab all the clips from your timeline and move them over your record window and onto the window marked "Overwrite with Transition"
-This should copy all files right back in place where they currently exist, but now with the transition.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Greg Boston August 8th, 2006 10:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

That doesn't work. The chainlink only lets me edit the audio seperatly from the video. Having them linked doesn't affect the audio when you add a cross dissolve. I just tested it.

As did I when I made the post. I had audio that came from the on camera mic and was imported with the video. That may make a difference. But when I turned off the linking and added a cross dissolve, no audio transition. Turn linking on, add cross dissolve, and audio crossfades as well. Maybe it's a preference setting somwhere.

Attachment 547Attachment 548Attachment 549

-gb-

Scott Jaco August 8th, 2006 06:44 PM

Probably a preference setting. I'll look around. It would be nice to save some time this way when editing.

Kevin Wild August 9th, 2006 11:54 AM

Wow, I guess I didn't get what you wanted to do. I went way advanced on you. Greg is right, if the files are set up as linked files, it will automatically do both video and audio.

Now, if you want to go back and add audio transitions to a whole sequence of cuts, see my post above. That is what I thought you were after...

KW

Scott Jaco August 9th, 2006 11:18 PM

I just spent an hour looking for settings to allow an automatic audio crossfade w/ cross-dissolves and still no luck. I always edit with that figure 8 icon pressed in the top right corner of the timeline.

The video & audio tracks are linked like they are suppose to be. Funny thing is, when you go to edit a crossfade by moving it or adjusting the legnth, the audio follows it like it should, it just won't create it automatically.

Any help would be appreciated.

Greg Boston August 10th, 2006 12:18 AM

Quote:

I just spent an hour looking for settings to allow an automatic audio crossfade w/ cross-dissolves and still no luck. I always edit with that figure 8 icon pressed in the top right corner of the timeline.

The video & audio tracks are linked like they are suppose to be. Funny thing is, when you go to edit a crossfade by moving it or adjusting the legnth, the audio follows it like it should, it just won't create it automatically.

Any help would be appreciated.

In the pictures above, I first used the goto next/prev edit to position the scrubber right on the cut. That's where you see the hour glass icons on the video and audio tracks. Right click to get the menu I show and select the cross dissolve. The result should be the third picture. That's all I did, I promise!

There's got to be something missing cause it works for me. Make sure all the track selects are set like mine at the left of the timeline. If your audio tracks are locked, they won't edit.

-gb-

Scott Jaco August 10th, 2006 02:02 AM

I finally figured it out. THANKS!!

I held the control button on the keyboard while clicking on the edit point and walla! The mini menu popped up and it did the video & audio crossdissolves.

I don't have a right click on my mouse, so I have to hold control down while clicking to get that same menu.

The pictures you included in your last post wouldn't display on my screen for some reason. I just got 3 blank boxes.

Thanks for working with me, this will save me a lot of time.