unsure of how to export my xl2 16:9 footage back into fcp4.5 from ae6.5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 26th, 2006, 08:46 AM   #1
Tourist

unsure of how to export my xl2 16:9 footage back into fcp4.5 from ae6.5

i am treating video in after effects that was captured in fcp.

i am having trouble both
a) importing this anamorphic DV footage into after effects properly and most importantly,
b) importing in back into final cut pro in such a way that it does not have to render.

help!
-allen
Allen Clements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello,

a) Getting the pixels right with this workflow will be difficult. Try this: In FCP, make a new sequence at an aspect ratio of 853x480 with square pixels (uncheck anamorphic). Copy your edited timeline to this new sequence then export as a self contained QuickTime file. In AE make a 853x480 comp and check the 4:3 pixel option (D1/NTSC 0.9). The QT file should fit easily in this new comp without any pixel distortion on output from AE. Back in FCP you'll either have to letter box a 4:3 sequence or try to output a 16:9 DV file. The problem with the workflow is that anamorphic isn't true widescreen, so pixels get streched to edit in a 720x480 space. You'll have to do a custom job on the pixel space to make this work without too much distortion.

b) You must render eveything out of AE. The only exception is if you're using the new dinamic link feature that's only available with the Windows AE version and PP2. Keep in mind, once you import the rendered AE comp into FCP you'll have to render it again for playback.

I hope this helps,

CJ Rogers

Last edited by Cale Rogers; August 26th, 2006 at 09:59 PM.
Cale Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I thought of one other option you may want to explore. Build your AE work in a 1280x720 composition, which works mathematically with 16x9. Import the AE render into FCP and add it to your anamorphic timeline. This doesn't get your anamorphic footage into AE, but it should preserve the aspect of the compositions you create without converting video files.

CJ Rogers
Cale Rogers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite