DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 29th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Trim Operation??? When speeding up

Does any one else get this error when trying to speed up or slow down a clip?
"Uable to complete command. A conflict occured during a trim operation."

Any ideas?
Thanks
Cal Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

yep I get this all the time. It happens to me when the clip butts up against the clip before it and the clip following it.

Drag the clip to the end of your sequence (so it sits alone with no clips either side of it) and change the speed there with no fades or anything attached. Then drag it back into the timeline and adjust all your other clips accordingly.

I don't know why it happens, changing the speed of the clip seems to be too big a task when it comes to computing the new transition from/to the sped up clip straight into another clip.
Daniel Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I just figured this out yesterday. When you change the speed of a clip it either pushes forward everything after it (for slo-mo) or pulls everything back (for speed up), but if you're dealing with multiple clips and you don't have room on a track for the movement then you're going to get that error. My work around was to push it up to a new track and lock everything else down.
Peace!
Old September 2nd, 2006, 06:36 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Another technique is to create a "scratch sequence with the same properties as your main timeline. You can copy the clip from your main timeline to the Scratch sequence, edit, and copy it back. It will stay in the same relative track.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 07:11 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Thorpe
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I just figured this out yesterday. When you change the speed of a clip it either pushes forward everything after it (for slo-mo) or pulls everything back (for speed up), but if you're dealing with multiple clips and you don't have room on a track for the movement then you're going to get that error. My work around was to push it up to a new track and lock everything else down.
Peace!
I've been wondering if there's a way to turn this feature off? There are many times I want to slow down or speed up a clip, but I have to make another track lock all other tracks, etc. It gets old if you have to do a good handful of clips. Anyone?
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 01:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yeah, I think that scratch sequence is a good idea. I don't want to able able to turn the warning off just in case I overwrite something in the process. If I have a project were I'm doing a lot of speed changes I'm going to do the scratch thing. Good tip.
Old September 5th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #7
Major Player

http://rippletraining.com/movies/ken..._speed_960.mov
Brillinat technique! you can change speed without changing duraion of your clip.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite