DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 1st, 2006, 05:25 AM   #1
Major Player

3D Motion Still Pictures

Hi everyone!

I came thru one of these site last night, and i was amazed at how the pictures were moving in a 3D environment. Does anybody knows what kind of software did they use in these one?

Here's the link.
http://www.storybookvideography.com/...tomontage.html

Thanks
Rickey
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 06:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Most 3D/CGI programs can do this. Some compositing apps can do it too.
It's called camera mapping or camera projection.

The process involves processing the image in photoshop first.
There you create seperate layers for the background (filling areas that were covered by anything in the foreground of the photo), and individual layers for discrete subjects in the photo that will be spread throughout the 3D space.

Next, in the 3D app, a camera is setup that PROJECTS the images (much like a slide projector) from it's POV out into the 3D space. The artist then places some basic 3D objects in the field of view that "catch" the image in 3D space. These are usually cubes, spheres and/or flat planes. The transparency of the image layers being projected from the camera allow you to "see" through open areas.

In the example shown on your weblink, the artist also added some falling plane objects with leaf photos on them.

Finally, a second camera is created to "film" (render) the flythrough. This camera can be animated a little, but mostly has to stay within the general POV of the projection camera. Some verticle and side-to-side motion is possible, but pushing in or out within the image has a more freedom. If the render camera moves too far out of line with the projection, images begin too look stretched and blurred.

If you're on a Mac, this can be done with Maya, Cinema4D, Eletric Image, and Nuke to name a few options.
Old September 1st, 2006, 07:29 AM   #3
Major Player

Wow! Thanks Nick for the enlightment, i was really impressed on they did it, I've seen a lot of slideshows but this is kinda unique, and Im looking forward to learn these programs so i could also offer it to my clients.
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 07:48 AM   #4
Major Player

I continually did a research about this and I have come to a site that really interest me on how I can achieve the 3D effect.

Here's the site

http://motion.digitalmedianet.com/ar....jsp?id=23457#
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite