DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 2nd, 2006, 01:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

2 different FPS

I've got one clip 24p and one clip 30p and I want them in the same scene. When I put the 30p into my 24p timeline I get super stutter. Does anyone have a good solution to keep them looking good but have them together in the same scene? Thanks!
Cal Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 01:19 PM   #2
Wrangler

30p converts to 24p very lousily. The best common denominator between the two is a 29.97 timeline.

You can put a 24p clip in a 29.97 timeline, but it will need rendering. You can run the 24p clip through After Effects to add proper pulldown, and then bring in...

This is why FCP needs multiple format support in a single timeline, pronto.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 01:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the response Nate! Unfortunately I don't have AE. Is there any way I get get that pulldown without going through AE? Would Cinema Tools be able to help me out here? Or is it going to throw my audio out of sync?
Cal Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 02:01 PM   #4
New Boot

i figure just drop the 24fps into your 30fps timeline. let fcp decide on the pulldown. as much as i don't trust FCP with that kinda thing, 24-> 30 fps is pretty braindead. just make sure you know what pulldown pattern you're applying. There should be 2's and 3's and :'s OH MY!
Chris Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 02:03 PM   #5
Wrangler

It used to be that FCP would just repeat every 4th frame to bring things up to 30fps. That's ok as a RT solution, but not what I want when I'm doing a final output.

I haven't tried it in a long time, since QT6, so maybe they've fixed that by now. I know QT7 is much, much smarter when it comes to conversions now in certain situations.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite