DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 4th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Exporting to Quicktime?

I've read a few topics about how to export from FCP to quicktime and have it look the same, and have the same quality. The advice always given is to turn on High Quality in quicktime, and to display on a proper monitor. I've done both and it still does not look the same as it does in FCP.

I'm working on a black and white video and in FCP the colors are great. I export to quicktime, and it still looks good but the diffusion has a weird tint to it and blacks arn't as sharp.

Is there a specific way, or differnt way to do this?
Harrison Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello,

I've only had a problem with gamma exporting from FCP to QuickTime. Try exporting a self contained QuickTime file and then using Compressor to apply a gamma filter. Or export the sequence to Compressor directly from FCP. Then inside Compressor add to your compression preset, or custom setting, and add a gamma filter adjustment to the finished file. Preview it inside Compressor when making the adjustments. This may require making a gamma change to the compression setting, saving the preset and then reapplying the setting to the sequence in the list to view the update. Lengthy at first, but you'll have a custom compression preset once you have the gamma dialed in. You may also need to add other color adjustments to the preset. Again, a lengthy workflow, but worth it when you want the best looking compressions. That's what I've had to do to get compressions from FCP to look the way I want them to across monitors and platforms.

Hope that helps,

CJ Rogers
Cale Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Lengthy and frustrating, yes, but probably well worth it. I'll give it a try. Still wishing there was an easier way.
Harrison Freedman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite