DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 12th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

.mov freezing

Why do my .mov quicktime movies freeze and drop audio? I exported to the desktop a .mov file (440)mb 4:39seconds long shot on hdv 720p30..... and i cant play it back smoothly? ( using fcp5 on an imac g4 1ghz processor, 768 ram)

Next question.... When i compress this movie to a h264 or mpeg4 file it comes out as 4:3 aspect ratio. How do i keep it 16:9?

thanks
Craig Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #2
Wrangler

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but a 1ghz iMac is going to barely up to the task of HDV. Especially at only 768meg of RAM.

As to your exports, you haven't given enough detail as to what method you're using. Compressor? QuickTime Components? Either way, somewhere in each method you have a place to specify pixel dimensions of your exported Quicktime. You need 320x270, or 480x320, etc.
Old September 12th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Nate,
I had a hunch that my imac just may be a little too long in the tooth..... it coped with DV for years but now i have huge render times with HDV and dropped out playback..... Question answered.

As for exporting the wrong aspect ratio......

Basically i took my .mov file (the one that doesnt play properly) and imported it into compressor and selected the 'downloadable h264 300kbps' option.
The next button to hit is 'submit'.... or is there a step i am missing?

Thanks for all your help both here and the HD100 forum.
Time for a new mac book pro , me thinks......
Craig Donaldson
Craig Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #4
Wrangler

Yes. The Apple web presets all assume 4x3 material.

In the Inspector, after you've brought in your clip, modify the preset from 320x240 to 320x180 (I think 180 is the vertical number you want. For 16x9 material, you always want your vertical number to be .5625 of your H number).
Attached Thumbnails
.mov freezing-picture-1.png  
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Donaldson
Time for a new mac book pro , me thinks......
Craig Donaldson
I have a Dual 2.0 G5, and while working in FCP is fine and fast enough, it's the encoding of HDV for web and DVD approvals that's killing me.
Old September 12th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Nate, Whats your thoughts on Compressor? It's good for quicktime yeah? But what about other programs like flip for mac and compression master? You use these at all? Are they worth the bucks? Do you get a better compression result or much the same, just an option for .wmv......?

Thnaks for your help. If you ever have any questions about old fords or v8 engines i know lots! Sweet FA about compressing hdv though....!!!!!!!

I'm learnin fast though......

Craig
Craig Donaldson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite