DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 21st, 2006, 05:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP Voiceover tool

Anyone using this? In early versions of FCP there were all kinds of strange artifacts pitch shifts etc. so I never used it. Not long ago I tested it with a DV cam through firewire and it actually worked. Still doesn't work with any of the other driver/input options in the pop up.

I do sports voice-over from time to time, and these guys wants to see picture as they read. And they´re always in a big hurry. I have outboard gear to preprocess the sound before it enters FCP but I´m not getting anything from my MOTU traveler, nor my deck-link inputs.
Kristian Indrehus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 09:10 AM   #2
Wrangler

it's not great but it's perfectly functional. get the griffin USB adapter.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...imic/index.php

i plugged my DXA-8 into it and can use any XLR mic with it that way. you'll get better sound than a cheapie 1/8'' mic jacked into the belkin. though that works, too.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 09:26 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Kristian Indrehus
Anyone using this? In early versions of FCP there were all kinds of strange artifacts pitch shifts etc. so I never used it. Not long ago I tested it with a DV cam through firewire and it actually worked. Still doesn't work with any of the other driver/input options in the pop up.

I do sports voice-over from time to time, and these guys wants to see picture as they read. And they´re always in a big hurry. I have outboard gear to preprocess the sound before it enters FCP but I´m not getting anything from my MOTU traveler, nor my deck-link inputs.
If you have FCP studio, you can use Soundtrack Pro to do the voiceovers. If you have iLife 06, you can use Garage Band 3 (yes it will show the video track) and it should see your MOTU just fine. Garage Band 3 even offers automatic ducking. Since you're doing all outboard processing, your CPU load will be very low.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 12:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I like Soundtrack and I use Logic Audio a lot. So it´s not that I can´t record voice with picture. But sometimes I miss the possibility to just record directly into FCP.

Would like to know if it can be done using the MOTU interface or any other. Mic. is processed through outboard gear and sounds like a million bucks, so that's no problem.
Kristian Indrehus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 05:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey guys,

I was wondering. I wanna record a voice over using Soundtrack Pro, but I don't wanna use the build in mic in my Macbook Pro. I have a XLR microphone and that quility should be fine, but when I plug it in and change the recording settings to build in input, the vloume is low and I only get one level bar (left part of the sound). Now you talked about the Imic... Will this solve my problem or do I have another problem? I hope you can help. Thank in advance.

Niels
Niels Neeskens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 09:16 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Kristian Indrehus
Would like to know if it can be done using the MOTU interface or any other. Mic. is processed through outboard gear and sounds like a million bucks, so that's no problem.
It should be able to see your MOTU interface. One little hiding place I found beyond system utilities for sound setup is in Apps/Utilities folder and it's called Audio/Midi setup. Go in there and check to make sure the system sees the MOTU as an audio input choice.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 04:19 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels Neeskens
Hey guys,

I was wondering. I wanna record a voice over using Soundtrack Pro, but I don't wanna use the build in mic in my Macbook Pro. I have a XLR microphone and that quility should be fine, but when I plug it in and change the recording settings to build in input, the vloume is low and I only get one level bar (left part of the sound). Now you talked about the Imic... Will this solve my problem or do I have another problem? I hope you can help. Thank in advance.

Niels
There is the possibility that the mic wire you are using is not wired correctly.

The iMic works but I have found it to be noisy. You might have better luck with a modest microphone mixer with line outputs. There are some very economically priced ones these days.
Old September 27th, 2006, 11:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
It should be able to see your MOTU interface. One little hiding place I found beyond system utilities for sound setup is in Apps/Utilities folder and it's called Audio/Midi setup. Go in there and check to make sure the system sees the MOTU as an audio input choice.

-gb-
Indeed it was a routing problem. Works great now. Thanks.
Kristian Indrehus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite