DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 25th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #1
New Boot

FCP 4.0 with Tiger?

I use FCP 4.0 on OS 10.3.9. I want to upgrade to Tiger but am worried that my old version of FCP won't work. Does anyone know the answer?

Processor is Dual 1 GHz PowerPC G4. (And I know that I should really upgrade FCP but it ain't broke and I am.)
Stephen Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #2
Wrangler

IIRC, there might be an issue installing from the original disks on Tiger. This and other issues were discussed quite a bit when Tiger was first released. You might want to browse way back on Apple's site (assuming posts are still online from back then):

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=939

But I think you will have a variety of other annoyances to deal with using software that old. I know that FCP can be finicky about Quicktime versions. And of course FCP 4.x can't handle HDV if you ever want to do that.

At a minimum, you should be sure to update to the final version of 4.x. Do you really have 4.0? That's very old. 4.5 was a free upgrade, and there were some compatibility fixes which came along later. Check the downloads on Apple's website.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #3
New Boot

Yeah, I really do have 4.0. Looking through the discussion forums at Apple, it seems like 4.5 might work with Tiger if I trash some packages. Still makes me nervous, though. Thanks, Boyd.
Stephen Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite