Editing 720p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 4th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing 720p

Hey, this might be a dumb question--but, what the hell everyone starts a thread with that saying. Oh well, anyay:

I'm shooting a film with an HD110 in 24p720. The question I have is . . . I want to retain the film in 24p720 for a possible film-out and the future, when hd dvd and/or bluray becomes more popular. However, for the time being, all I'm going to need is 24p480. So, what is the best way to go about this? I'll likely be capturing straight to a hard drive--or rather, I'll have the footage delivered to me on a hard drive--I won't be dealing with tapes.

So, do I just import the footage onto a 480 timeline and edit away? How would I recover the 720 resolution later on if I did that? I'm sure there is a very basic answer. Thanks.

Matt
Matthew Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello,

There are a couple of ways I can think of to deliver SD from an HDV timeline. First off, in Final Cut Pro, edit the entire project in a 720p24 sequence. Send the finished sequence to compressor and add a 4:3 MPEG2 setup with letterbox. If you don't like the letterbox look, then you can create a new SD 4:3 24p sequence and drop in to it the master HDV sequence. This idea will crop the edges of the finished master, but there will be no letter box. When you're ready for HD DVD or Blue-Ray, you can simply export the original HDV master sequence.

We've had to incorporate 720p30 HDV video with SD timelines before. As long as the cropping position works, the HDV in an SD timeline turns out looking great.

Hope that helps. Good luck,
Cale Rogers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite