DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 5th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

16:9hdv to 4:3sd and some

Hi

Iv'e done a 3 camera shoot. One of the cameras was in HDV720p and the other two in mini DV (PAL).

I am trying to downconvert the hdv to so that it will share a time line with the mini dv. (Placing it on a 4:3 timeline and exporting)

However, when I convert it to DV it looks awful. When I convert it to Apple's Intermediate Codec it looks better but still strugles to be as good as the stuff shot in mini DV.

Anyone know the best way of doing this? And anyone know some way of changing the quality setting of the Intermediate Codec. It seems to only have 'Medium' as a setting.

I was thinking of going uncompressed all round. However it is 3 hours x 3 cameras and I dont have that kind of storage space!

Thanks

Trevor
Trevor Allin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Just a suggestion (you could do this on 5 secs to see how it holds up)

1. Import HDV
2. Export reference file
3. Use Compressors "Advanced format conversion" to either convert to anamorphic dv (or better: DVCPRO 50 (DV 50) In case you're doing a lot of CC'ing on your original material this might be a better route for the whole edit. Just edit DV and change your sequence settings at the end before final render for fileout.)
4. Import new file to DV squence

Gunleik
Old October 7th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi

Thanks alot for this. I couldn't work out how to do the refernce file side. But I used export on a 4:3 timeline and used dvcpro 50 as you suggested and the quality was very good.

Thanks

Trevor
Trevor Allin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite