DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 20th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Group clips

I have just completed a multiclip edit and added two tracks of finished audio to replace the two tracks of internal mic audio. What's on my timeline now is a video track consisting of individual cuts. How can I group all of this together so if I want to drag the clip forward or back and get the whole selection to stay grouped as it moves? With Vegas there was a group command. Once assets were grouped, selecting the clip selects all and when it's dragged on the timeline, all of the pieces move in unison.

Jeff
Jeff Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Jeff, I'm not sure about a grouping command like Vegas but you can nest the items so they appear as one clip in the timeline and you can always go back if you have to change the edit later.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 01:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Nate, Is this what one would do after the multiclip edit is finished? My goal is to edit a 3 cam multiclip into 13 songs. Would I render each song into it's own new file or what. I have interviews and such and want to build the project on the timeline. After each individual song edit, I wanted to save it as say a new master clip.. When all of the edits are done, I wanted to assemble them on the timeline for simple QT files or assemble in DVD.

What I wanted to get away from is having a bunch of segments that make up a song. I want to put it "away" so to speak while I am working on the others.

Jeff
Old October 23rd, 2006, 01:48 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mack
How can I group all of this together so if I want to drag the clip forward or back and get the whole selection to stay grouped as it moves?
You don't have to do anything special. You can work with a grouped clip as if it weren't a grouped clip and it will stay grouped.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I guess I just don't understand. I layed 7 multiclips on a timeline and did each individual edit. Now I want to mve #3 to #1 and play them in a new order but If I click on the first segment and drag it, nothing else moves with it - the segments are not connected. Do I need to render to a new track?

Jeff
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:18 PM   #6
Major Player

You can either just select every cut that is part of that segment and move them or when you have them selected go to Sequence - Nest Items and it will make it appear as one clip on the timeline which you can then move around easy. If you need to make changes just double click it and just the clips you nested will open up in a new sequence.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I guess that makes you mighty because I just did what I thought was impossible!!

Thanks a lot!

Jeff
Old October 23rd, 2006, 04:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Glad to help Jeff!
p.s. that's a quote from Firefly the best show on t.v. (well not anymore :(

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite