Capturing to FCP from homemade DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 21st, 2006, 03:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Capturing to FCP from homemade DVD

I have an actress galpal of mine who I'm trying to help with her demo reel--she has it on DVD and I'm trying to download it to FCP to help her make copies. I can download the video all right but there's a separate audio file listed on the DVD folder in my apple and I can't seem to download that into my computer. When I hit play in my regular DVD function the audio and video plays fine. Are there steps I'm taking that I should? I've scoured the manual but have decided that Apple must deliberately make looking up even the simplest things hard to look up so you have to shell out hundreds for their tutorials.

Anyone know how to import a homemade DVD?

Thanks guys, if anyone can help:((
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 03:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Download the freeware app MPEG Streamclip. You open the video files from your DVD and then export it to any Quicktime format you want.
Old October 21st, 2006, 05:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Are you trying to edit it or just copy the DVD?
Old October 21st, 2006, 06:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry
Are you trying to edit it or just copy the DVD?
Actually it's not the best demo reel in the world so in the future I'd like to edit it for her but for now I'd just like to make a butt full a copies so she can send them out. When I open the DVD up as a file it has a video file folder and then a video "document" or whatever you call it inside and it also has an audio file folder but when I open that up there's no audio doc inside that. Which again I suppose would make sense if the DVD had no sound when playing it in my computer or DVD player but it does have sound in those instances.
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 06:32 PM   #5
Wrangler

If you just want to copy then no need for FCP. Fire up Disk Utility which you will find in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder. Select the icon of the DVD in the list of disks (important: make sure you select the icon of the disk itself, and not the volume contained on the disk).

With the DVD selected, choose New Image. Now give the image file a name and choose a location to save it. After you have ripped the DVD the image file should appear in the file list. To make a copy select the image file, then click on Burn. Put a blank disk into the DVD drive and then repeat for as many copies you want to make.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:58 AM   #6
Major Player

Boyd! It worked like a charm:) You are a life saver:) She's got a big stack of demos waiting for her thanks to you...
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite