Editing takes a LONG time! Or does it? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 7th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #16
Major Player

I always go by one minute edited video takes one hour to edit.
All I can offer in addition to the others is to tighten up your shooting.

16 hours of raw tape for a :30 minute video is crazy.

Take a buddy with you and have them log the game highlights as you shoot.
That way you dont waste time finding the highlights on the raw tape in the bay. If you can't get someone, shoot some bars after a highlight or make a brightly colored card and roll on that after a highlight so when you are scrolling in the bay you have visual cues to work with.

Find a little something out about the players beforehand so you can ask 3-4 short well structed questions to get the sound you need.
A good technique when interviewing, ask the question, let them answer and stay quiet. People hate dead air and they will start talking again, and this is when the great sound happens.

For 16 hours of tape and 150 hours in the bay, $10,000 would be a lowball.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #17
Major Player

Wow, Gary! Great ideas! Thanks so much.
Michael Pulcinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I think this question falls into the "How long is a piece of string?" category. It's as long as it needs to be. Same thing for editing. Much depends on the genre. A thirty second spot with a talking head and a title card? No big deal. A thirty second spot with lots of dynamic product shots, cut to music and heavy effects, (think car commercial)... really big deal.

Likewise Narrative versus Documentary. With a narrative, you have the script to guide you. With documentary, while it's still best to work with a script beforehand, the film is really created in the edit. And it can take a LOT of time, cutting and recutting to 'find' the story.

And finally, a great deal of time can be saved it you KNOW WHAT YOU WANT before you shoot. Sounds simple, but it's a real skill. The following link

http://avid.com/profiles/061024_kahn_xpresspro.asp

- talks about how Joseph Kahn 'thinks with a linear' mindset. And how much more efficient that is when it comes time to edit. Basically, it boils down to having a strong 'pre-vis' if not on paper, at least in your head.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #19
Wrangler

I once saw Kahn at a party at the Roosevelt Hotel with a t-shirt that said "Sexy Korean"!

On a more topical note, remember that guy works in a world that demands knowing exactly what you're going to do before you do it. It's too expensive, otherwise.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite