DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 13th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #1
New Boot

Macbook Pro Question?

So here's my question. I'm trying to decide if I should go for the Apple MacBook Pro 15.4 inch C2D with 128MB or 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1600? Yeah I'll get faster processor speed, more RAM, and 128MB more graphics, but for a difference of $500 is it really worth it? My main uses will be After Effects, Photoshop & Illustrator graphic design/illustration work plus Final Cut Pro, DVDSP and Motion. Does the 256MB card would give a justifiable improvement over the 128MB one? and the Difference in Procerssor Speed? Would I notice a difference with the faster one? thanks!!
Ariel Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #2
Major Player

I don't think the ati card is worth it if you are simply going to use this for the apps you listed. I don't see why there would be much of a difference in rt performance however I could be wrong.

I would look more into the processor that comes with the more expensive one because that would have more impact. Oh, and don't forget about the ram too! More ram is always better.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #3
Ben Jones

I just brought(2 mins ago online) the Mac book Pro 2.16mhz with the 128mb graphics card, but I was strongly advised to get extra ram, so I got an extra 1gb. I really can't imagine the 2.33mhz being that much faster than the the 2.16mhz. Im doing some HDV editing but if your doing 3D work or your a gaming freak you won't need the better graphics card. Save the cash if you can.
Old November 13th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jones
I just brought(2 mins ago online) the Mac book Pro 2.16mhz with the 128mb graphics card, but I was strongly advised to get extra ram, so I got an extra 1gb. I really can't imagine the 2.33mhz being that much faster than the the 2.16mhz. Im doing some HDV editing but if your doing 3D work or your a gaming freak you won't need the better graphics card. Save the cash if you can.
Congrats on the new mac. I bought a mac pro last week, and I didnt go for the fastest proc speed as well even though I could certainly use it. For me, the high premium is not worth extra tid bit of power.
Old November 13th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #5
Ben Jones

Saying you could do with the extra processer speed makes me think your having some problems. Is this the case? Is it slow? I hope not!
Old November 13th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jones
Saying you could do with the extra processer speed makes me think your having some problems. Is this the case? Is it slow? I hope not!
No this thing is the fastest computer I have ever owned. In fact, this is my first mac and my first factory built desktop. The build is incredible by the way.

The only reason why I said that I could use the extra mhz is that I use a lot of power hungry apps that would run that mush faster. 800 Dollars faster? I doubt it. My cousin who works at mac even told me it was a rip off but I guess it really doesnt matter if money isnt an issue.

With that said, I am extremly happy with the computer and I feel that it was well worth the money.
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #7
Major Player

I would happily pay the extra money if I could have a higher res display alone. The 17 inchers 1680x1050 is 'minimum' what the 15 should do. You can get 15 inch dell lappy's that will do 1920x1200!

Back to the topic at hand though... you really only will see a speed increase if you do 3D graphics or play games. That's where the memory comes in handy. The system memory will ONLY speed up your computer if you are running out of it. If you aren't then it's useless to have 2gb if you aren't even using 1gb. Just a FYI.
Gene Crucean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #8
Major Player

If will be glad you got the 256 megs video ram using Motion. It's a RAM and vRam pig. I use it on a dual 2 ghz G5 with 6 gigs of ram and it's the slowest app I use.
Old November 13th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #9
New Boot

Thanks for the suggestion!! I think I will go the 2.16mhz with the 128mb graphics card route, and same the money for a external FW800 drive and more RAM!!!! Thanks again for the suggestions!!
Ariel Ferrer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite