fcp multicam editing - switching angle problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 21st, 2006, 02:16 PM   #1
Major Player

fcp multicam editing - switching angle problem

I have this overwhelming issue with fcp multicam editing.

For some reason or other, when I try to switch camera angles, the in/out points change position. Intead of going to the different angle in the viewer, the entire clip changes. if I just keep switching angles on the same clip, eventually the in/out points will reach the start of the timeline. I have spent hours on this multiclip and now its looking like I might have to redo it.

I just can't figure it out. It was working just great yesterday but now it does something completely different. I have the viewer set to "open" and I have looked at just about every setting.

I restarted the app but it does the same thing.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I had to set-up the keyboard specially for multi-cam switching so I could remember the right keys for switching not just changing the base camera. Check it out, it might be the fix that'll help.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 12:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser
I had to set-up the keyboard specially for multi-cam switching so I could remember the right keys for switching not just changing the base camera. Check it out, it might be the fix that'll help.
It is so crazy, I had to redo the entire thing in a new sequence. Now, everything is working great!

Going back to the original sequence, it still has the same problem, even if I use the keyboard to switch or cut between angles. I like to click the monitor which may be the noob way but I like it for some reason.

It really is strange, the switch function does switch to the other angle but it does so at a different in/out point. Like I said before, if I just keep switching back and forth between angles, eventually the in/out points reach the start of the timeline. I think it is selecting different pieces in the multiclip where I made cuts.

I am sure some fcp pro knows whats going on. I have about 30 hours of xp so far with fcp and I am absolutly stumped as to what changed this multiclip.

I am just worried about having this sort of thing happen again. I hate having to redo everything.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 09:16 AM   #4
Major Player

I had the exact same problem you are having when I first tried out multicam a few months ago. My footage was only about 2 hours long, but after spending 10 hours or so setting up multicam (I didn't have timecode that matched or anything to easily sync the clips). I had 3 camera angles and one separate audio source.

I never did figure out why it bombed out, but re-creating the sequene fixed it perfectly. Are you using the new 5.1 version of FCP? When I first used it I was still using FCP 5.0, and I haven't had a need for it since I did the crossgrade install. Maybe it's a bug of 5.0??
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 02:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
I had the exact same problem you are having when I first tried out multicam a few months ago. My footage was only about 2 hours long, but after spending 10 hours or so setting up multicam (I didn't have timecode that matched or anything to easily sync the clips). I had 3 camera angles and one separate audio source.

I never did figure out why it bombed out, but re-creating the sequene fixed it perfectly. Are you using the new 5.1 version of FCP? When I first used it I was still using FCP 5.0, and I haven't had a need for it since I did the crossgrade install. Maybe it's a bug of 5.0??
It looks like a bug to me, but its funny because it never goes away. Even if I reboot and everything, it still does the same thing but only to the one multiclip.

Like you, I didn't have matching time code either, I had to do it all manually.

I have fcp 5.1 with all the updates. I just bought it about a week or so ago with my mac pro.

So far, except for that original multiclip, everything is working great. Hopefully, it stays that way.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite