how to export with timecode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 27th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

how to export with timecode

I want to export a sequence but I want the sequence timecode to be exported as well for reference. Anyone know how to do this?

Cheers
Daniel Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Major Player

What device will you be exporting to? This only works on DV Decks that can black a tape and be able to set timecode numbers.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #3
Major Player

If you just want a visual reference you can use the "Timecode Generator" filter in FCP to overlay FCP's timecode over your output video. I've only used this once or twice, but I think it only exports the sequence timecode and not the individual clips' timecode, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #4
Major Player

If you apply it to each clip individually, it will read their TC. IF you nest the sequence (although I prefer exporting a ref movie and reimporting) and drop it on that, then it will reference the timeline TC.

But I think he wants to output so that the timeline TC lays down onto the tapes timecode track...like when you master a tape to send to a network. This requires a deck capable of striping code and generating code. No camcorders will do this.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Stevenson
I want to export a sequence but I want the sequence timecode to be exported as well for reference. Anyone know how to do this?

Cheers

I have used the "Timecode Generator" plug-in. Pretty simple...
Create a new video track above all your other tracks. Place a slug in that track covering the whole sequence. Place "timecode generator" plug-in on the slug. On the slug clip, use the crop and resize motion tools to place it exactly how you want it.
Jay Voog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Great idea Jay however read your post after the fact. All I needed was a reference on a QT file to be stored on a data DVD, it didn't need to reflect the sequence TC per se just act as a means for two people in different places to know they were looking at the same bit of footage.

However I would be interested in figuring out how to get the actual sequence time code to appear as well as the individual time code of each clip (referencing back to the source tape). I think Shane's post will get me on the right track here (no pun intended), but I only baulk as when I originally put the time code generator on a clip it seems to produce a completely arbitrary TC with no relation to clip or sequence TC.

Thanks for your help guys.
Daniel Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Stevenson
However I would be interested in figuring out how to get the actual sequence time code to appear as well as the individual time code of each clip (referencing back to the source tape).
Hi Daniel,
Basically what I have done is just used the slug (starting at the very beginning of the sequence and ending at the very end of sequence).
Then by placing the "timecode generator" plugin on the slug (in the timeline). It will read what your timeline is playing at (only because it is at the beginning of your sequence, not because it is reading your sequence timecode). I tend to over explain things sometimes, so if this is confusing, I am sorry. This is just what I have done in the past. It's to burn the timecode for the client to view and then they give me the times and I go to my sequence and grab the clips. Simpleist way for me to do it.
Jay Voog is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite