The 4 Second problem (HD100+FCP5.0.4) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 6th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #31
Major Player

I rented an HD100u a few months back to evaluate for work and captured 720p30 no problems to FCP 5.1. I was using $2 TDK tapes from Costco because that's what I had at the moment.

In fact, I liked it so much I've been checking these boards because I'm thinking of getting one personally.

I don't think this is a problem for everyone?
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:16 PM   #32
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bowles
In the meantime, it looks like Apple's $49 cross-grade offer expires on 12/20.
I highly recommend to everyone who owns FCP to do this $49 update before it is too late.
http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/
Old December 15th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Still Problems 24p

So...I am working with JVC110U and Final Cut 5.1.2 and the latest BR-HD50. I can't capture using the AIC or anything else. Is this just not fixable right now? Is it fixable with making the .m2t conversions...how do I do that? Can I get it dubbed to another tape in 30p or something and then capture that?

My JVC guy says its not the camera.

I am soooo stressed. Please help. Even if it is that you will say that I have to sit tight until Apple comes out with a new update.

Thanks,
Sharon
Sharon Pieczenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #34
New Boot

I've been having the same problem, Its really crappy that Apple has not really addressed this issue. It's like they give a little, but not quite enough to make it work great. Very Disappointing considering apple has been a good easy interface to work with. Has anyone heard anything new on this?
Andrew Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Marks
I've been having the same problem, Its really crappy that Apple has not really addressed this issue. It's like they give a little, but not quite enough to make it work great. Very Disappointing considering apple has been a good easy interface to work with. Has anyone heard anything new on this?
I wish there was third party software that could capture the footage. I would happily pay money to not have to deal with this issue anymore.

I don't see apple ever fixing it but I hope I am wrong. This type of software update sounds like it would be tricky to pull off and maybe worth waiting to fix it in 6.0.

I couldnt tell you how happy I would be if apple fixed this problem for 5.1.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 01:58 PM   #36
New Boot

24p?

I have a new (bought in October) 110 and am having the same problems. The intermediate codec is tolerable for 30p footage, but what about 24p?

Any recomendations would be great.
BTW I shot 20 hours on Timecode "REC" and have had the same problem on every tape.

This issues makes me wish I had stayed with Adobe.
Cecil Searcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Hi

I too am having this problem. With 25p. I am in th middle of an important project and need some kind of work around.

Has anyone been intouch with Apple about this?

Trevor
Trevor Allin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Allin
I too am having this problem. With 25p. I am in th middle of an important project and need some kind of work around.

Has anyone been intouch with Apple about this?
Hi Trevor.

This thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=82624

might help answer your question, plus it contains a couple of workarounds.

Also, if your problem is purely losing the early seconds of each take (and is otherwise capturing your clips fully with no arbitrary breaks in the middle) you can go into your capturing preferences in FCP and shorten the pre-roll.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Trevor and Cecil,
I just recently posted this on another thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....2&postcount=20

This is valid just for FCP 5.1.2!
Sergio Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #40
Major Player

Thanks for the preroll tip.

I wish there was a way besides aic to capture just one clip and not have it split up into tons of clips.

I wonder what would happen if you captured with free run tc on the tapes? I will have to try that, even if the tc doesn't make sense. If it worked, that would certainly be better then the aic workflow.

I doubt it would work. I will try it and see what happens.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Hi Sergio

Thanks for this. The only problem is that this is not breaking up at the beginning and end of clips but anywhere inside it. So 1 sec isnt much better than 4 or 7 seconds.

Hope an answer comes to light soon.

Only thing I can think of is capture it with cineform on a windows machine, convert it to FCP hdv using stream clip and then finally edit in fcp. I like this camera but the editing side has been just hard work!

Trevor
Trevor Allin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #42
Major Player

Alex

You said in a previous post that JVC reckons that there is plenty of evidence to suggest that the problem lies in particular cameras and is not across the board (very alarming since my camera is a new 111) and that they asked you to send your camera back for a "service".

Did you send it back and has the problem been fixed?

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Trevor,
The breaking of clips arbitrariarly in the middle of them could be related to having set TC REGEN. The right way (to try to fix this problem) is to record with TC REC.
If this is not the cause for this issue, then you may have clogged heads, which are causing the bit flow over the firewire to ''choke'', making final cut think it's a new clip.

About converting it on a windows pc, using streamclip... i really don't think that's possible, because the Apple HDV codec doesn't come with streamclip, but with Final cut pro, so, unless you have FCP running on that windows (which is impossible) you shouldn't be able to do it!

Anyway, I guess you should capture the m2t and convert it to AIC, all on your mac, just as David Knaggs pointed out in this post: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....47&postcount=5
Sergio Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #44
Tourist

Tc?

We shot an entire short film on this camera...14 tapes total. Afterward we had to send it in for warranty service because one of the crew plugged and unplugged the firewire while powered up (a different issue altogether). When we got it back we captured all the clips in FCP 5.1.2, all footage was 720p24 (and might I add that it looked beautiful).

Anyway, after this project, I took it out into the field for a documentary. When I came back discovered this problem for the first time. Before researching and finding this thread I attempted to solve this on my own.

Drop outs were happening in what appeared to be random spots (and several in the middle of important interview lines). Same on capture now, capture clip and batch capture. I tried all combinations of different settings in FCP to get it in natively...No dice. I found one of the breaks a was able to pinpoint it down to the frame. I also noticed, and here is my question, that when I went frame-by-frame that on the camera the TC was 24 f/sec but FCP capture window was still counting in 29f/sec (20 on cam was 25 in fcp, 21 was 26, etc.) Is this normal, should it be doing that?

As far as fixes, it seems that the TC "problem" was only 1 frame long (though there was no discrepancy on the camera, tc counted just fine). I was able to capture a second clip by setting the timecode several frames later. Very labor intensive, far from a solution, but it worked for the project.

Anyway, thats just my 2 cents.

JVC GY-HD100u
Powerbook G4 1.67
FCP 5.1.2
Brandon Lindauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #45
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Lindauer
I also noticed, and here is my question, that when I went frame-by-frame that on the camera the TC was 24 f/sec but FCP capture window was still counting in 29f/sec (20 on cam was 25 in fcp, 21 was 26, etc.) Is this normal, should it be doing that?
This is a quirk with the way Apple set up the HDV digitizer, but it can be fixed in about two seconds.

I'll explain why first.
When FCP starts to capture the HDV stream, it looks at the first frame, captures the TC value, and writes it to the Quicktime file. That's it. The TC data quicktime file only knows what the start value of the clip is, it doesn't check every single frame.
I had earlier suggested copying and modifying the capture preset to specify 24fps TC. This seems to help avoid errors when capturing, but it still doesn't remember to tell the clip that it is 24fps TC. I think this is because the HDV capture module is a hacked version of the module originally written for 720P30.

Anyway, here's how you fix it.
  • CTRL-Click or Right-Click any Column Heading in the Browser and select Show TC Rate.
    Name:  30_timecode.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  39.0 KB
  • You will see that all of your clips have a TC Rate of 30, even though they are 24P clips.
  • Select all of the captured clips you would like to adjust and then CTRL-Click or Right-Click anywhere inside of the TC Rate Column - not on the heading.
    Name:  switch _to_24.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  15.2 KB
  • A contextual menu will appear giving you all of the TC Rate options. Select 24.

That's it. Your TC will now exactly match your tape.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite