Apple extends Final Cut Studio crossgrade until March 19, 2007 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 1st, 2007, 02:27 PM   #16

Just a reminder on this March 19th deadline to others who may have waited till the last minute for the upgrade offer...
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver View Post
All educational versions are not upgradable. Definitely a drag.
That was definitely bothersum when I purchased Studio with my education discount.

I wont mind upgrading down the road but I shouldn't have to. The only reason I will is because I'll make the money back quickly
Nate Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Educational DOES upgrade

The academic version does upgrade! Mine upgraded with absolutely no problem. I was actually shocked to receive the retail version in exchange for my educational version. Whoever posted that you cant upgrade it was mistaken because I did, and so have many of my friends from school. Well worth the money!
www.bandwagonhd.com
Timothy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Harry View Post
The academic version does upgrade! Mine upgraded with absolutely no problem. I was actually shocked to receive the retail version in exchange for my educational version. Whoever posted that you cant upgrade it was mistaken because I did, and so have many of my friends from school. Well worth the money!
Yes, it's a great opportunity at a great price
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Harry View Post
I was actually shocked to receive the retail version in exchange for my educational version.
Did you receive the full version in exchange instead of the Academic?
I am about to send mine in today.

thanks for the reminders everyone!
Jay Voog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Voog View Post

Yes, that's what you get.
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Yes I did receive the full version. I was shocked.

Quote:

www.bandwagonhd.com
Timothy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #23
Major Player

I haven't gone this path myself, but I did check the fine print on Apple's upgrade order form. Go to this page

http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/

and follow one of the "Download order form" links. It explicitly mentions academic versions. Sounds like a no brainer to me if you currently have an academic version!

- Martin
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pauly View Post
I haven't gone this path myself, but I did check the fine print on Apple's upgrade order form. Go to this page

http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/

and follow one of the "Download order form" links. It explicitly mentions academic versions. Sounds like a no brainer to me if you currently have an academic version!

- Martin
Make sure you check the code numbers on your install disc. I have an academic version of the Production Suite through my teaching position, and I considered upgrading it to the new 5.1, but the FCP 4.5 install disc from the Production Suite doesn't match the posted code number on the Apple site.

-Jon
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #25
Wrangler

I'm waiting until the last second to do this, in case we hear word that 6.0 is imminent and only purchasers AFTER this date will be eligible for a discounted upgrade--in other words, will i have to pony up again in a month or two for the 6.0 upgrade, and should I just wait? or perhaps the upgrade from previous versions will get jacked up the equivalent amount. Sigh. No way to know, I guess.
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #26
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Sigh. No way to know, I guess.
I hear ya Charles... we know that Apple is planning to announce *something* at NAB. But typically they only offer nominal cost upgrades to people who purchase in the window between an announcement and a ship date....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #27
Wrangler

Has anyone else noticed this? On Apple's site it appears there is now no upgrade path to Final Cut Studio from FCP 4 or FCP 5! If you look at the "Top Questions" page (http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/topquestions.html) and click on the crossgrade link (http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/) you are redirected back to the Final Cut Studio home page.

Then if you click on the "Buy Final Cut Studio" (http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/We...nMore=MA285Z/A) you can upgrade from FCP 1, 2 or 3 for $699, or buy the package new for $1,299. But no mention of FCP 4 or 5.

Obviously they need to update these pages, and I wonder what the options will be since I decided to let the March 19 deadline pass me by...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #28
Wrangler

Got mine postmarked at 6 p.m. on the 19th! yikes...

I'm sure when the next version comes out there will be some sort of upgrade from 4 or 5, hopefully it will be fair.
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
I was using only FCE and iDVD, but got the EDU version of DVDSP 4 to learn how to use it, with the intent to buy retail when I was ready to make money with DVDSP.

However, Apple quit selling DVDSP stand alone and my EDU DVDSP 4 installer disc mailed into Apple got me a retail version of FCS 5.1. Very happy camper! I got my copy last winter.
Grant Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I talked to three Apple salespeople today. The first told me that there is no upgrade to Final Cut Studio from 4.5, the second told me the first guy was crazy and that it is $699.The 3rd guy at a Mac store told me there is no upgrade except for FCP 1,2, and 3.

I am really disappointed and feel pretty dumb. I wish I had been following this thread. I didn't know the $199 crossgrade offer was going to end. I use 4.5 and DVDSP, but am trying to upgrade to XH-A1.

The Apple people we're being super cryptic and saying that 6 might come out at NAB, might not, etc. Now I don't know what to do. Arghhhh.

Will the $699 upgrade from 4.5(if it even exists) disappear if 6 comes out? Will it be more expensive? Will 6 be delayed if it does come out?
James Klatt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite