Aja LHe or Black Magic Multibridge Pro? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 27th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #1
Trustee

Aja LHe or Black Magic Multibridge Pro?

Both of these cards are comparably priced and the Apple reseller I'm working with sells both. The sales person says that FCP works better with the Aja video card, is that true?

If so how? Is there a noticable difference?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello,

I've never owned a Decklink product, but I've always experienced great support from the AJA people. I use an IO box for Beta SP capture (FCP 5) and the results are clean and the support team is knowledgeable with formats and workflow. There's a production company in town that we work with from time to time that uses the Decklink product. They're happy with the input (Beta SP) also, but I've never asked if they're satisfied with support questions. If it were my money, I'd go with the AJA LHe because of my experience with the company and the number of specific FCP capabilities the card was designed for.

Hope that helps,
Cale Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I personally use the BlackMajic Multibridge Extreme and after a bit of finagleing in the set up, (mostly because I was starting at the bottom of the learning curve) have found it to be a really marvelous device, especaially as I have it now, hooked up to an Apple 30" display.
I couldn't really compare it to an AJA not having used one to the same extent, however, what I have done, makes it seem as if there is not much in it. Although, I do like the fact that my Multibridge extreme is a breakout box as well, which is handy as otherwise I'd be spending a whole host of time on my hands and knees behind my desk moving cables around.
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #4
Major Player

I have owned both and I lean towards AJA for a couple reasons:

1) Best tech support of the two, hands down

2) Designed to work with the Mac first and foremost. Decklink works on Mac and PC. AJA works closely with Apple to ensure that things run smoothly.

Tech support is important.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

Ditto what Shane said; if you're on a Mac you want AJA.
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #6
Major Player

We use an Io for Beta and Kona LHe for uncompressed HD. Both work great. We also use a Black Magic HDLink to run our 24" Samsung monitor in the field to get pixel for pixel 1920x1080 monitoring.
Attached Thumbnails
Aja LHe or Black Magic Multibridge Pro?-pict0022.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite