Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 9th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capture issues

Hi

I a spending hours trying to capture footge from my HD100. The issue is this:

When I capture HDV FCP keeps breaking it into clips of various lengths and when you drop them on the time line there is seconds missing between each clip.

(1) FCP is not set to make clips unless there is a problem
(2) The tapes play fine within the camera without any breaks
(3) I have used 2 different HD100's with the same outcome.
(4) I have cature 1080 on a Sony deck with no problems at all.
(5) FCP, if set to warn, says there is a streaming problem from the camera.
(6) Occasionally, by fluke, it takes in a whole tape that it previously would not.

Anyone have any idea whether this sounds like camera problems, or camera compatibility issues with FCP or just an FCP issue.

It is sure costing a lot of time and money!

Many thanks

Trevor
Trevor Allin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I believe it's a compatability issue between JVC and FCP. FCP doesn't seem to have the problem with other HDV brands.
I'm losing up to 7 seconds at the head of each shot when transfering from the camera to FCP. It doesn't matter whether I "Capture Now", "Log and Capture" or whether I have the camera timecode set to regen or rec.
However I normally use the DR HD100 onboard hard drive and with the new v.2 software can record HDV files direct to Quicktime. The problem is not evident on the Quicktime files.
At this stage I've never had a problem with hard drive files and coming from an old school BVU and Standard Beta background I'm used to allowing some pre roll.
JVC and Apple however really need to talk to each other and sort the problem out because what they basically have is the most efficient and secure HDV record system on the market, along with the most professional style HDV camera on the market.
Phil Balsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I had this same problem - its pretty common, unfortunately.

However, I switched from HDV to AIC for capture/timeline, and that lost footage problem goes away. You also get rid of MPEG editing issues and get faster renders.

The tradeoff, though, is no 24 fps support in AIC (someone correct me if I'm wrong and Cinema Tools can workaround this) and no timecode for batch capture (it just does a capture now, separating each cut as a clip).

Hope this helps...
Brian Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi

Thanks gents. This is so frustrating!

I presume apple are aware of the problem.

With The AIC route is there any loss in quality?

Thanks

Trevor
Trevor Allin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Additional Threads for Capture Issues

Trevor,

I believe you will find this thread: "the 4 Second Problem" on page 2 has more information for you

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=80679

It appears to be a FCP issue when capturing HDV in 24p that Apple has not yet addressed but obviously needs to in a yet-to-be-released version.

Sincerely,
Michael Lafleur
Michael Lafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi

Thanks for this. Not sure there is any real solution that works cross the board as yet.

Trevor
Trevor Allin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite