Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 8th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #31
Major Player

Shane,

My response was to this line...

"worth noting is that FCP6 now natively supports previewing HDV footage over firewire as a downconverted DV stream"

...Not the MXO use. This line sounds to me like you can hook up a firewire camera to your production monitor and FCP6 will output downconverted SD to it so you can color correct your hdv timline based on how it looks in an sd color space. I have not heard this is possible so I wanted to know where that person read this information.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Shama View Post
Shane,

...sounds to me like you can hook up a firewire camera to your production monitor and FCP6 will output downconverted SD to it so you can color correct your hdv timline based on how it looks in an sd color space. I have not heard this is possible so I wanted to know where that person read this information.
Scott
That is the claim by Apple...that you can output HDV as downconverted DV via firewire...so you can MONITOR. And you can color correct for an SD space...right. But if you then output to HDV, or other form of HD, the color won't be right. Even if you make an HD DVD.

FYI.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Ross View Post
That is the claim by Apple...that you can output HDV as downconverted DV via firewire...so you can MONITOR. And you can color correct for an SD space...right. But if you then output to HDV, or other form of HD, the color won't be right. Even if you make an HD DVD.

FYI.
Where did you read that claim? The only reference I've found to preview HD downconverted to SD thru firewire requires using the new AJA lo...not really cost effective at $2200.

If you could color correct in SD space....
It'll be close enough...all these older dvds that are being watched on upscaling dvd players were all color corrected for an SD color space and they look fine to pretty much everyone. The HD installed customer base isn't going to be prevalent for years....I don't even personally know anyone, who isn't a videographer, who has bought a high def player yet....hd-dvd or blu-ray...

So color correcting in SD is fine for now...

Cheers,
Scott

Last edited by Scott Shama; May 9th, 2007 at 02:44 AM.
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #34
Major Player

Would the MXO work with Apple's color program? I read that Color is picky about what it can output to. Any ideas?
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Shama View Post
Where did you read that claim?

It's no secret Scott. It's in the "Final Cut Pro 6 New Features" documentation, on page 8:

External Video Monitoring
You can now output to external video interfaces whose settings don’t match those of your sequence. Here are some examples of some of the possibilities:

• DV or HDV sequence output to an SDI signal on a third-party interface
• An uncompressed NTSC or PAL sequence output to a DV FireWire output
• An HDV sequence output to a DV FireWire output

Sequence and output formats must have compatible frame rates. For example, sequences with a frame rate of 60, 30, or 24 fps can be output to a 30 fps device, but not to a 25 or 50 fps device. Also, when an output device does not match your sequence settings, additional real-time processing is required. This means that segments that already require a lot of real-time processing power may need to be rendered to play back.
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #36
Major Player

I'll have to get FCP 6 and COLOR and test that out. But, that won't happen for a bit yet.
Old May 25th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra View Post
Would the MXO work with Apple's color program? I read that Color is picky about what it can output to. Any ideas?
I would "assume" (dangerous word I know) it will as the MXO is coming directly off the video card. I've read that Color won't work on an external monitor using something like an AJA or BM card because those are not GPU accelerated, but the MXO is.

Again, just pure speculation on my part.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #38
Major Player

Why wouldn't Color work with AJA or BDM cards? How would people view their image on an external monitor? You can't color correct without that ability, so it MUST work with color.

MXO...again, I won't be getting FCP ST2 for a while...so...sorry.
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #39
Major Player

Yup, my bad. Color won't work if your card's default destination is set to your Mac desktop.

I believe this is the thread I misremembered.

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bi...nivpostid=1348

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite