Green cast of fluorescent bulbs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 17th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Green cast of fluorescent bulbs

Does anyone have any tips for getting rid of the green cast of fluorscent bulbs in Final Cut Pro? I am trying to clean up some footage for a client and there is a shot in a gas station lit by these. The actor looks sickly and I'm trying to get his skin tone back to normal. Any help would be appreciated.
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #2
Trustee

Use the 3-way color corrector.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thats what I have been trying but I just wind up with an oversaturated green skin tone. I'm gonna try a warming filter if I can find one.
Old January 17th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Andrade
Thats what I have been trying but I just wind up with an oversaturated green skin tone. I'm gonna try a warming filter if I can find one.
A warming filter is not the answer.
Your white balance was set incorrect when the footage was shot.
Try selecting an area of the frame that you know is white with the eyedropper on the white corrector.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #5
Major Player

You need to add some red (magenta) to counter-balance the green. Try playing with the mid and high color wheels and add a little red.

Also, try David's suggestion about the white, but if you have something around 18% gray in your shot, use the middle wheel eyedropper for it, that should help get you started. You'll need to get close using the eyedropper, then if it still looks green, play with the color wheel adding a little more red.

I've also found that some badly colored clips can be "fine-tuned" if you apply the color correction twice, but then it gets tricky to adjust because adjusting one effects the other one, and remember it makes a difference which one comes first in the filter list.

Good luck
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks alot Nick. That actually help me get alot closer. There just happened to be alot of red in the background of this particular shot so balancing it out was a pain but it looks way better.
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #7
Major Player

You can play around with the "limit effect" at the bottom of the color corrector screen to get some better results. If you check the manual it helps a lot... the printed one is not good for the color correction because the pictures are B&W, so check the PDF.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite