DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCP 4 Announced (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/8422-fcp-4-announced.html)

Jeff Donald April 6th, 2003 03:09 PM

FCP 4 Announced

Read all about Apple's latest upgrade to their professional level editing software, Final Cut Pro 4 Many, many new features,

Compressor MPEG 2 and MPEG 4 encoding with 1 pass and 2 pass VBR

SoundTrack, Music composition tools to create your own Royality Free music.

RT EXTREME Multiple Streaming Real Time Effects

LiveType for Industry leading text creation

Over 150 LiveFonts

Create your own keyboard shortcuts, remap the keyboard

Broadcast Quality CODECS

Master in High Definition

Support for Panasonic DVX100 with pull down tools for telecine insertion and removal (3:2 / 2:3).

Pro quality software based 8 bit and 10 bit uncompressed formats. Combine this with 32 bit floating point per channel video processing

And much, much more. The update is $399 USD and the full version is $999 USD. You need 60 Gigs of hard drive space to install. Complete requirements are here.

Phong Huynh April 6th, 2003 03:31 PM

A big feature in Final Cut Pro 4 is the incorporation of Cinema Tools into FCP with new support for change lists and ink numbers. FCP 4 is big news.

Ken Tanaka April 6th, 2003 03:41 PM

I just received the notice from Apple.

Jeez, 60 Gb of available disk space (presumably on one's system drive) seems unreasonable. Many Macs only ship with a 60Gb drive (such as mine).

Jeff Donald April 6th, 2003 03:43 PM

I think it is all the fonts. How are you going to get it on a powerbook, was my thought? Time to start looking at the newer 120+ gig drives with 8MB cache.

Ken Tanaka April 6th, 2003 03:51 PM

It looks like they may have fixed the audio synch issue.

Jeff Donald April 6th, 2003 03:54 PM

Quote:

The innovative Autosync Compensator maintains synchronization of audio and video in long DV captures (a solid benefit, since DV cameras have different audio sample rates).
Yup, the last sentance seems to sum it up.

Ken Tanaka April 6th, 2003 03:58 PM

Note: FCP4 is not shipping until June. So we can take our time perusing the new features, if so desired.

Jeff Donald April 6th, 2003 04:14 PM

It may offer some the best quality output in the industry. Support for multiple Codecs and software based uncompressed 8 bit and 10 bit formats. Combine this with 32 bit per channel processing and the image quality should be stunning. Apple says this is the first time these features have been combined on a system costing less than $100,000.

Ken Tanaka April 6th, 2003 04:45 PM

Provided, of course, that you start with something worth looking at. <g>

Simon Plissi April 6th, 2003 04:49 PM

Quote:
60GB of available hard disk space for installing applications

20GB of available hard disk space for installing LiveType and Soundtrack content

They must be also allowing some space for video. It would be absolutely insane for an app such as this to take up 60GB. I can understand the LiveType and Soundtrack taking up 20GB since all those LiveFonts animated fonts and audio files would get pretty big. But 60GB for FCP is just insane. All the Powerbooks come with 40 or 60GB drives.

They must be erring on the side of caution here.

Well, I do hope so...

Jeff Donald April 6th, 2003 05:29 PM

The size will be clarified in a few days, I'm sure. If you click on the purchase button, the page says you only need 14 gigs. It's a little confusing. It does say you need a DVD drive for installation. I suspect it will keep the software pirates away for a long time. The app is just to big to download.

Jeff Donald April 6th, 2003 07:51 PM

This QuickTime explains how FCP 4 w/Cinema Tools handels 24P and 24AP from the Panasonic DVX100.

Eric Emerick April 6th, 2003 09:20 PM

PDF info

The PDF for FCP reads:

1 gig for he application

5 gig for Soundtrack

9 gig for Livetype

DVD a necessity

Henrik Bengtsson April 7th, 2003 02:40 AM

Hm .,.. has anyone checked out the other new announcement, just to the right of FCP 4 =)

http://www.apple.com/shake/

Also looks pretty interesting.

And re. the soundtrack feature... does it show that Emagic is now owned by Apple :) (Emagic makes Logic Audio, one of the more popular audio/sequencing packages)

/Henrik

Simon Plissi April 7th, 2003 06:16 AM

Wow! My reaction after having watched most of the quick tour videos. You sure get an awful lot for your money with FCP4.

LiveType aka IndiaGraphics(?) looks cool. Might also prove useful for those, like me, who also dabble in web site creation.

Soundtrack could prove really useful as a quick way to add a bit music to a project. Also looks like a nice way to produce looping audio for DVDs.

Compressor does look like it has similar functionality to Cleaner, though probably if you delve deeper find that it falls short of fully comparing. I'm not complaining. Looks fine for what I want to use it for, and once again useful for compressing video for web.

All in all a very nice package, and that's even before I get started on DVD Studio Pro, or Shake.

Sure is a good time to be a Mac and video/film user/maker.

Mark Argerake April 7th, 2003 08:11 AM

A little OT...

Has anyone heard y there is no upgrade to DVD Studio Pro2? The price is amazing compared to what I paid for the previous version, but I would have thought there would be an upgrade...

Jeff Donald April 7th, 2003 10:53 AM

No word yet. Wait till it gets a little closer to releasem maybe July. Then look at the online Apple Store.

Joe Lloyd April 8th, 2003 08:05 AM

The system requirements say that you need a G4 this time. Am I reading this wrong?

Jeff Donald April 8th, 2003 03:06 PM

These are the requirements as they appear on Apple's site

Quote:

Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G4 and AGP graphics card:
500MHz or faster single processor or any dual processor Power Mac G4 or PowerBook G4 required for RT Extreme and Soundtrack.
667 MHz or faster PowerBook G4 required for RT Extreme in DV format.
QuickTime 6.1
384MB of RAM (512MB recommended for RT Extreme and Soundtrack).
1GB available disk space required for application installation.
14GB available disk space for required for Soundtrack and LiveType content.
DVD drive required for installation.

The only possible exception is the amount of drive space needed. There is conflicting information on Apple's site and in their literature.

Joe Lloyd April 8th, 2003 04:38 PM

damn, i was just about to pickup a cheap 12" ibook for portable usage, which is normally rare... guess that wouldnt be such a great idea now though

Jeff Donald April 8th, 2003 09:02 PM

iBooks and iMovie. An upgrade is due for the iBooks, but it will just be a speed bump. Expect 900mHz G3's. They might get G4's the next bump, due just before the Holidays.

Jeff Donald April 8th, 2003 09:06 PM

I've heard the DVD 2 upgrade is $199. I haven't seen it on Apple's site, but was confirmed by a friend at NAB.

Curtis T. Stoeber April 9th, 2003 01:14 AM

I would upgrade to DVD Studio Pro 2 in a second for $199 (plus tax). It looks cool. I have already paid the $427.73 for the upgrade to Final Cut Pro 4. Apple is calling people who bought previous Final Cut Pros (2 and 3) and giving them first crack at the upgrade when it is available in June.

I'm sure that 60 gigs is not required. But I think I will get more hard drives anyway. My MDD can hold 4 ATA drives. Anything I should know before installing them?

Joe Carney April 9th, 2003 12:26 PM

This is very exciting for Mac users, and it seems Apple has incorporated Acid Pro like features into FCP. They will even use Acidized wave files (loops). Nice move on Apples part. This will keep SoFo on their toes, hehehe. There are lots of places with free loops around the net.

Now if only they would offer better hardware. The 32bit powerPC chip is fast becoming a dinosaur. Lets hope for Mac user sakes, they have a 64bit option coming within a year or so.

Jeff Donald April 9th, 2003 01:45 PM

The IBM 970 is on it's way and full scale production by IBM is scheduled to begin on or around the 15th of April. I expect new PowerMacs to be announced at WWDC June 23 - 27. Rumor has it that several boards are being developed (single and dual processor) and the speed of the chips will range from 1.6GHz to 1.9GHz initially. Expect speed bumps around the first of the year.

Joe Carney April 10th, 2003 09:55 AM

Jeff, Charlie White over at DigitalVideoEditing.com loves FCP 4, but damned it because of slow hardware. Will the 970 be a real improvement? Or just a simple speed bump of the CPU (real as in better FSB, faster memory, faster more reliable motherboard and subsystems). A faster chip alone isn't the answer. AMD proved that.

Just wondering, not trying to start a flame war here.

Jeff Donald April 10th, 2003 12:34 PM

I couldn't find the article on that site (terrible site by the way, nothing but pop-ups) so I can't address his specific complaints. I haven't seen FCP 4 but it doesn't release for another 3months and Apple Betas do usually run slow. I expect final release to perform very fast.

The 970 is a smaller version of an IBM processor used in their big servers. This is an entirely new processor. It is not a speed bump of an old Motorola G4. This is a very advanced processor using a .09micron manufacturing process (the stumbling block for current Intel chips).

I have never found reliability a problem. My main editing station is on day and night and performs flawlessly. It will be three years old in July. I've never thought of Apple as having a reliability problem. I've used their products since the late '80's and I'd have dropped them at the first signs of any consistent problem. At times I've had issues with various aspects of the OS and waits for upgrades etc. But in my opinion they've always been faster than MS with fixes.

Mark Sloan April 11th, 2003 09:12 AM

They say that the process will begin at .13 microns, which is why there will be no PowerBooks with the 970 until next year when they move to the cooler running .09 micron fabrication. But as said before, the processor isn't the only problem. The G4 today isn't kept fed because the rest of the system is slow and can't keep up. Until they make more drastic changes, the speed increases for Macs will be small. Even the change from SDR to DDR memory really hasn't changed anything and this new chip is 64bit and has an incredible amount bandwidth that can be pumped in... if it kept fed it will be terrific. I've been using Macs for 10 years now and still love them, but PPC 970 or not, Macs are about the software these days, not the UI or speed. The PDF about the chip can be found here:
http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/products/powerpc/newsletter/pdf/dec2002.pdf

Joe Carney April 11th, 2003 10:56 AM

good to hear it's 64bit. Unfortunately, hardware is important when you charge by the hour. Still, one of the reasons I don't use Macs has been the attitude of Mac users.
Maybe someday that will change, it seems Jeff and others are proving Mac users can have a reasonable discussion about platform differences with out sounding like they are on a religious Jihad. If that attitude were more common, I would consider using these new Macs, even with the high price premium. As it is, I'm thankful for programs like Vegas which give Win users a viable and stable alternative.

Joe Lloyd April 11th, 2003 11:43 AM

Now I'm just mad that i bought my dual 1.25 the other day......

Mark Sloan April 11th, 2003 12:57 PM

Well, 64bit isn't necessarily a good thing. Fortunately, it runs 32bit code natively so there is full backward compatability supposedly. As for when we'll see it... we've been hearing about the G5 for over 2 years now and it is still just smoke and mirrors, so they went to IBM... I still have the "I'll believe it when I see it mentality"! Now the question is... will FCP4 run in 64bit? On new motherboards with the new chips it could really cook! Of course, I still love my FCP3 and dual 800MHz G4!

Peter Koller April 11th, 2003 01:31 PM

Is it better than Vegas 4? ...just curious.

Jeff Donald April 11th, 2003 01:47 PM

In my opinion it is. I don't think you're going to find too many editors or users that are extremely proficient in both. They compete in different markets. That's not to say their isn't some crossover, but FCP is aimed at the pro market and Vegas is more for the event, industrial, single user market. Sure you can do a feature on Vegas or a wedding on FCP, but those are not the markets they go after.

The real question is Vegas, or FCP, better for you? I do documentary and corporate work mostly and FCP offers the speed, features and tight integration to other tools that I need for my clients. The work flow is very smooth.

Claude Isbell April 11th, 2003 11:20 PM

Believe me, I don't want to start an argument, political or otherwise. But, I don't understand the idea of not using a computer because of the attitude of other users. The longtime reliability of macs is well documented. I work with a lot of cross platform people. They'll use their pc when doing web work and move to the mac when doing their video work. I have a G3 that's over 5 years old that I suped up. I was recently offered $500 for it. My friend tried to sell his 3 year old pc recently and couldn't get more than $100 for it. I have nothing against pc's or pc users. But, I will say the few heated discussions I've gotten in were initiated by them. But let's get back to FCP 4. It's great. Like another thread around hear pointed out, you'd have to spend close to$100,000 to get an editing system that had much more.

Curtis T. Stoeber April 11th, 2003 11:38 PM

There are many many Windows users who have a bad attitude as well, basically just running off at the mouth about how much better PCs are than Macs. So both camps fall victim to that my friend. I use both myself.

Back to the subject at hand... I have the student version of Final Cut Pro 3 which is the same as the full version, just a different license. Will I be able to upgrade to FCP 4 with the update? I assume the student license would remain in effect. I have already purchased the update, but want to know the answer before it will ship. The Apple salesguy really didn't have any info.

Jeff Donald April 12th, 2003 02:08 PM

Are you upgrading to FCP 4 Academic version or FCP 4 Full Retail Version? The only difference will be the price you have to pay for the upgrade.

The Mac vs. PC thing will be an ongoing debate. There are jerks on both sides (none here fortunately). Neither side really understands the needs of the other or is willing to take the time and try to understand. Each side is too busy trying to tell the other why their side is better.

Jeff Donald April 12th, 2003 04:30 PM

You'll still have an Academic License.

John Kaye April 21st, 2003 02:33 PM

Anyone was at NAB in Vegas?

Jeff Price May 14th, 2003 11:55 AM

I now that FCP 3 has good color corrections but does it have any automatic options (like in Photoshop Elements). I realize that you are almost always better off working manually but sometimes the problem is consistent (white balance being off) and an auto correct works fine.

If not if FCP3 then what about FCP4, expecially since the new version of Avid seems to have it.

Let's see, G5 (970), FCP4, DSP2, ka-ching!

Ken Tanaka May 14th, 2003 12:25 PM

Jeff,
Well, not exactly like Photoshop Elements. Perhaps the handiest "auto color correction" feature I use are the eye droppers for setting various balances.