DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 8th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Why SATA as opposed to usual FW800/400?

Well, looks like I'm getting a 15" 2.33 MacBook Pro (any reason to wait)?

I'll be working with HD using FCP 5.

My real question is: Why get a SATA as opposed to the usual FW800/400? Is the throughput that much better? Are they only good for RAIDs, or in general?

I can get the Lacie 500gb fw800/400 for $249.

Can't seem to find a SATA 500gb. Any suggestions?

thanks
elmer

Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #2
New Boot

Lacie eSATA

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10848

Just get a eSATA Expresscard/34

MUCH faster
Etienne Botha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

As far as editing video, you probably wouldn't see any difference, however with moving files between drives, you will see a difference.

Firewire 400 = 400 Mbps
Firewire 800 = 800 Mbps
Sata = 3000 Mbps

So.... yeah.
Brian Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #4
Trustee

How much of a difference you experience depends on the type and amount of viedo you'll be editing. If your editing uncompressed HD you'll definately notice a difference.

There is no such thing as a Fire Wire drive. There are IEEE1394 FW host bus adapters that converts the data from IDE drives to conform with that spec.

SATA is a real data standard like SCSI. The reason this makes a difference is that in real life FW800 is generally slower than FW400 because the drivers and chips in the HBA's are the same. Some of the FW800 RAID drivers are using TCPIP which makes the data transfer rate faster but TCPIP was designed for small packets of data which will cause the CPU to work much harder unpacking the data - which kind of defeats the purpose.

Most of the SATA RAIDs use encapsulated SCSI so the more spindles the faster the array. If your thinking of purchasing new drives go SATA.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Firewire allows for bus power ... if you need to edit on the go then bus-powered drives may be what you need ... think Lacie's Little Big Disk http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10731 or G-technology's G RAID mini http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-RAID-mini.cfm

if you will be editing near a power point then definitely go with SATA.
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #6
Major Player

You'll see the benefit of an eSATA drive when you want to edit uncompressed Standard Def formats, or compressed HD formats like DVCPRO HD. Or if you want to have multiple streams of video (video images playing at the same time, like the "24" act breaks). THe faster the drives, the faster the transfer speed, the more streams you get.

And just to provide another eSATA solution or two:

www.caldigit.com
www.sonnettech.com
www.firmtek.com
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Sonnet has an Express34 card for $129; Wiebetech $119.

Then Apiotek has one for $45. Anyone know anything about them?

thanks,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding
SATA is a real data standard like SCSI. The reason this makes a difference is that in real life FW800 is generally slower than FW400 because the drivers and chips in the HBA's are the same. Some of the FW800 RAID drivers are using TCPIP which makes the data transfer rate faster but TCPIP was designed for small packets of data which will cause the CPU to work much harder unpacking the data - which kind of defeats the purpose.
I don't know how you keep all that info in your head, but please, point me in the direction where I can learn more about this. Or don't teach me to fish and just tell me everything you know.
Jonathan Poritsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite