DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 13th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing with mice

I was wondering, all you mac users, what mouse do you use with editing? It looks like the mighty mouse is a poor choice. A lot of Apps seem to need a 3 button mouse at least.
I saw some of those "gaming" mice available with lotsa buttons.. i was wondering if they could be programmed for use as FCP or Shake hotkeys.

FWIW, I am using (or will be using) a Bella keyboard with the shuttle. I have one for my PC and plan on getting a new one for FCP.

Thanks
Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Mighty Mouse has more functions than it looks like

Hi Alden,
But to my knowledge the Mighty Mouse has 5 buttons with the small scroll wheel ...
Left and right button (you click on the whole top on the left or right side).
Left side button and a right side button.
Click button on the scroll wheel.
Scroll wheel left-right.
Mouse movement left-right and up-down.
Can't you assign those buttons for your requested functions? /Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Alden, I use the Mighty Mouse for editing, but also use the keyboard extensively. Mighty Mouse has everything I need for FCP, Shake, etc., though I'm sure there are better mice out there.

Edit: almost forgot... just to confirm, Mighty Mouse does have 5 buttons (including the scroll wheel).
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #4
Major Player

I use the standard Apple mouse with the G-5 and a two-button PC style mouse with the Mini ... the right click is nice to have for other functions but for FCP, DVD Studio Pro, etc I tend to use the keyboard anyway. As I did when I worked in Premiere
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Apparently I don't know what I'm talking about. Which isn't uncommon :P I am still in the buy stages of the machine, I was just making sure I had all my ducks in a row. I was under the impression people weren't fans of it.
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Mighty Mouse is an excellent tool for editing. Just the scroll ball alone helps immensely. I've been through a number of different input devices for FCP (Kensington track balls, Contour Designs jog/shuttle, etc.) and the Mighty Mouse is the one I am happiest with. That and the zCover keyboard protector for FCP.

Just keep you hands clean and the Mighty Mouse will give you months of trouble free service.
Old February 13th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Here it comes to save the day...

I have used a shuttle pro since they were released. I can edit without it, but the shuttle pro makes editing so much easier. I recently got a Mac Pro with the Mighty Mouse. The scroll ball alone makes it sooo effortless to scroll the timeline or through footage. Point to a window and scroll. Kewl.
I now have trouble editing on my other Macs without the Mighty Mouse.
I had beem planning to get a second Shuttle Pro. Now, I'll probably get another Mighty Mouse.
Old February 14th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Westphal
I had beem planning to get a second Shuttle Pro. Now, I'll probably get another Mighty Mouse.
Michael,

I just switched to MAC from PC where I used the heck out of my shuttlepro. Now I find that you have to switch between settings for viewer, canvas and timeline. Is that right? Or can you assign the buttons for where you want to use them. If I think I know how it works with FCP, you have to switch settings from area to area.

Jeff
Jeff Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Two Words: Intuos-Three

I LOVE the Mighty Mouse, once I turn off all those extra buttons! Being a tried and true mac guy I have trouble getting used to two button functionality again, I'm just that used to ctrl-click. And anyway, the right click option is just plain clunky in the MM. But scrolling through my footage with that wheel (without having to let go and hit the shuttle pro is SWEET!

Anyway, I've enjoyed working with a wacom intuos 3 tablet for the past few months. It makes editing so much easier, and of course it's invaluable when doing some graphics work in Photoshop or Illustrator. What's nice about the new tablets is that they have programmable buttons and sliders on the sides. the one I have, 6x11, comes with 10 buttons and 2 sliders total. I have it set to jump through footage, play, fullscreen, a whole bunch of those interface things you need all the time.

On the pen, I have my button set to arrow and blade, and the eraser is the same as pressing delete. One slider is set to jog through my timeline, while the other is set to zoom in and out. The point is, I can't say enough about getting away from the mouse and into a tablet. But if you need a mouse, don't hate on the MM, just configure it to your liking.
Jonathan Poritsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #10
Regular Crew

speaking of those tablets. A editor that was teaching a seminar was saying how she couldn't live without it. I see how it is used in photoshop and such, but how is it used in FCP? do you just use the pen on the tablet to move your cursor and such?
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Read the previous post on this thread left by yours truly. My configuration is all spelled out sir. And if that still just doesn't say it, well then I guess someone will make a trip to the Wacom store and see what all the fun is about.
Jonathan Poritsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite