Timecode from live camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 19th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Timecode from live camera?

I am hoping that someone else might be able to come up with a creative solution for this problem. FCP is a great program for the most part...except for things like capturing live footage with timecode. Sure, I can capture live footage from firewire or a card like decklink, but I have yet to find a way to capture live timecode. I know that you can capture analog footage with timecode via RS-422, but has anyone found a way to get BNC timecode (say from a TC generator)?

Here's why I ask... Come in April I am doing a shoot where we are filming live speakers, recording to Beta and live into an Avid and my FCP System. We will also be recording the programs to DVD recorders with TC burn in so the speakers will be able to watch themselves, makes notes of the TC, and then sit down with editor. Therefore, i would like to have the correct TC in my FCP system to edit with.

Here's the only solution I have come up with. At the beginning of each session, use a flash (easier than a slate) and then go back to FCP, make the flash frame the first frame and start the timeline TC with the flash frame TC from the DVD.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Matthew Rogers
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #2
Major Player

hi Matthew

there are a couple of easier solutions i can think of:

you could just modify the timecode on the clip itself, after the fact.
Modify menu > Timecode...

... but what you really need is this (especially if you plan on being in this situation often)
http://www.adrielec.com/box20lit.htm

cheers
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite