Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:07 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood
Would you believe it!! The Clip Chart is the one not working for me! The rest (at least the few I've checked open fine) :(
Sod's law!
Is it working for you?
If you're not getting the movie at all, try this direct link:

http://www.rippletraining.com/movies...0129081347.mov

But remember that this particular movie is more like a slideshow with audio. You have to click the little button on the bottom right to begin and then click it each time you hear a beep.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:33 AM   #32
Major Player

I'm not sure if there's a glitch in the server, but I'm not getting any sign that the post I just made got through successfully, so I'll repeat it again and pass on apologies if this turns out to be a double post.

Quote:
Would you believe it!! The Clip Chart is the one not working for me! The rest (at least the few I've checked open fine) :(
Sod's law!
Is it working for you?
If you're not getting the movie at all, try this direct link:

http://www.rippletraining.com/movies...0129081347.mov

But remember that this particular movie is more like a slideshow with audio. You have to click the little button on the bottom right to begin and then click it each time you hear a beep.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 03:20 PM   #33
Major Player

I'm just not getting anything on this one :(
The others all play fine, this one takes me to a quicktime play bar which plays 'nothing' for about 5 seconds before stopping....

Ghost in the machine here David!
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:41 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
I'm just not getting anything on this one :(
The others all play fine, this one takes me to a quicktime play bar which plays 'nothing' for about 5 seconds before stopping....

Ghost in the machine here David!
Hmmm. Maybe it's something in your Quicktime settings or preferences (?).

It really is a simple and wonderful tutorial. But just to bypass Quicktime for now (as you have a corporate deadline coming up) here's a link to an article by Larry Jordan which is pretty darn good (and he mentions Andrew Balis in the article. Andrew did the Ripple Training DVD-ROM on colour correction that I told you about earlier).

http://www.larryjordan.biz/articles/lj_color.html
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #35
Major Player

Cheers for that David (not sure why that link didn't work mind).
Meanwhile, I played around with the 3 way colour corrector eye dropper (with a little help from the Ken Stone tutorials online) - pretty darned good! Brought a much more natural colourisation back into the scene. Not sure whether I should've used all three droppers i.e. blacks, mids and whites or just the mids...but it's made a difference. Might struggle in pulling the blown out clouds back into reign though (poss a little more advanced FCP tweaking).
With your Quicktime Higher Settings check tip (and Liam's eye dropper suggestion) this footage is already looking 50% better than it did a few days ago...possible to resuce some from this now...of course, with the intense 24 hour WB training (and formatt pol) this shouldn't happen again!
Unfortunately, I intended to go out shooting today but the weather has been terrible...not sure this would 'sell' anything to anybody...hopefully the clouds and rain will disperse tomorrow...
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #36
Major Player

Interesting...just started the article and opened up the colour correction arrangement. On the scopes (and this is pre and post WB colour correction), the Green and Blue on the RGB parade have hit the roof (110%); the waveform monitor shows the White over 100%; and the Histogram shows a huge peak at 106%. Although the WB is a lot more natural now, I presume the blown out sky is knocking the colours right out of the scopes (therefore unbroadcastable?)
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Also, remember what I said at the start of this thread. Exporting in the DVCPRO50 (DV50) codec (rather than DV) can also give you a better quality Quicktime movie (although at larger file sizes)
Hi David,

I've been testing saving to quicktime using:
*same settings as capture (PAL 48khz)
*DVCPRO 48Khz
*DV50 PAL 48Khz

I've blown them all up in quicktime but I'm really struggling to notice any difference whether it be hues or fine detail. Actually, the DVCPRO50 is the same file size as the PAL 48Khz...the DV50 Pal is actually twice the file size??
If the quality difference was obvious enough I'd save them in the larger file size, but I can't see that it is. I'll try and post jpegs see if anyone can notice any change...
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #38
Major Player

Hi David.

My use of DV50 PAL was about 18 months ago in a very early HDV workflow. I think I might have converted the .m2t files into 720p25 DVCPRO HD Quicktimes and then dragged them into a DV50 PAL sequence. I think I also tried it with a DV PAL sequence and found the DV50 sequence was markedly better.

But this was downconverting from 720p25. DV50 PAL seemed to retain more of the higher quality image.

But it sounds from your experience that if you shoot and capture in DV PAL, then converting to DV50 PAL makes no difference. Which, now that I think about it, makes sense.

Anyway, it was worth a try.

P.S. I reckon you should take the plunge. Start shooting 720p25. Purely my opinion. But it will make all of the signage you shoot look a lot sharper (I noticed your other thread). Good luck.
Old March 1st, 2007, 04:09 AM   #39
Major Player

^^ David...I'm going to - when I've completed this current job I'll explain that next time I can get the footage even better.
Slight concerns about the workflow (but like most things only make sense when you start trying them out). Also little worried that my HD100 didn't have the 'A' upgrade, though at the time of buying I was told there was some software upgrade on these models, might've been carried out in Germany (wasn't clarified as to what exactly that was...the camera's came in around October last year).

I will also need a g-raid drive...I think I'll stump up for a 500gb (split 250gb each). Hopefully it will make things sharper all round David! Cheers.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite