Converting still image stream into HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Converting still image stream into HD

I have a client who would like to use some film material we own in an HDV 720P 24fps project he is editing with FCP.

The material is standard def. Our approach here would be to inverse telecine the material, deinterlace (Avisynth/Virtual Dub) and then export the result as a still image stream. From there we will use PhotoZoom to uprez to 720 x 1280 holding the aspect ratio thus creating black borders left and right.

We will provide him the uprezed material as a still image stream... targas or bitmaps... on a DVD-R.

Any problem with FCP rendering this off the timeline into the HDV project?

Thanks,
George
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:30 AM   #2
Wrangler

George, I don't know anyone who would call film, 'standard def'. It might be 4:3 aspect ratio though. I'd go for 960X720 output with a film scanner and eliminate the need to do any de-interlace if you want to work in a 720 24p timeline.

You could easily import the sequence of images at that point. Maybe this won't work due to budget restrictions or whatever, but the gist of what I'm saying is that if you're not taking film material to NTSC broadcast, inverse telecine makes no sense and requires extra, image degrading steps in the workflow.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:44 AM   #3
Major Player

I guess what I meant to say is the file containing the film transfer is standard definition 720 x 486.

So... to get back to my question. Can FCP easily render a still image stream into HDV.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:45 AM   #4
Major Player

I guess what I meant to say is the file containing the film transfer is standard definition 720 x 486.

So... to get back to my question. Can FCP easily render a still image stream into HDV.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite