DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 23rd, 2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best spec for FCP STUDIO on Powerbook Pro

I would like to establish which is the ideal entry spec for a Powerbook Pro using Final Cut Studio platform. I know the requirements listed on Apple's site, sometimes they list the very minimum requirements, I found that sometimes minimum is not enough.

Also, if anyone has a Powerbook with FCP Studio & wishes to sell let me know please.

Thank you.
Roman Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I am assuming you mean a MacBook Pro. The larger the screen, the better, the more memory installed, the better and of course the faster the computer, the better. Otherwise, all MacBook Pro models are sufficient to do excellent FCP work with.
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I am looking for a second-hand macbook pro & keep coming across second-hand notebooks & seller says 12 month warranty. Doesn't warranty normally start from the time of purchase that is on the receipt? When I ask when did you buy, they say 1 month, 2 months, 2 weeks, etc.

Please explain.
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Wrangler

It's really hard for us to explain when we don't know anything about the specific computers you're looking at. But, for example, Apple sells an extended warranty known as "Applecare". It is transferable, and any remaining coverage could be used by you if you purchase a machine such as this.

For more information, see the following: http://www.apple.com/support/products/

But yes, warranty coverage begins on your date of purchase, and Applecare extends the normal factory warranty period.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #5
Major Player

You can also try refurbished systems to save money instead of just buying from people. A little funny thing is if you get it from Apple it might come with a free upgrade like mine had 2GB of RAM instead of just 1. Turns out Apple doesn't take the time to downgrade returned and refurbished systems! So you will get AT LEAST what you order, but may get more.

On the Apple store go to the bottom right and look for the red tag sale.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Is there much difference in performance between 2.33 Dual 2 Core and 2.16 Dual Core chips? I found 2.16 (great deal), but concerned about the difference in performance, everything else is same spec.
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Rowlands
Is there much difference in performance between 2.33 Dual 2 Core and 2.16 Dual Core chips? I found 2.16 (great deal), but concerned about the difference in performance, everything else is same spec.
Yes, the difference is .17. Are you planning to do a lot of rendering? A hard question to answer sometimes but that's where the difference might be important. Less than 10% time saved with these numbers. But some chip differences might make the numbers unreliable, the Core 2 chips probably have some extra benefits. However, for general editing, the 2.16 Dual Core is fine.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite